Chapter 59-Sophie

Sophie was done wishing she could slip away. She was done laying awake at night, sleepless until dawn when she'd awake from one of those horrible visions of someone she loved dying. She was done having circles under her eyes so large that her entire face looked as if it was doused in shadows.

The Neverseen won too many times.

She'd end the war—or die trying.

The void normally wasn't terrifying.
At least, not anymore.

But now she was awake. Now she couldn't hear them.

Now she couldn't see them.

"Keefe?"

She tried not to panic.

"Dex?"

A groaning to her left calmed her racing heart for a second before the silence grew to a long stretch again. Sophie reached over, choking back a sob when she felt the rough material of Keefe's cloak.

"Keefe," she sobbed, pulling herself to him, relieved to feel an actual person. "Hey," she gasped out.

His heart beat steadily under her head, as she laid against him. She could feel Dex's hand twitching against her leg, and she collected herself long enough to arrange him comfortably on the other side of her before she collapsed back against Keefe.

Stuck in the void with her best friend and her more-than-friend.

They hadn't labeled it.

Was he her boyfriend now?

Was it weird that that was on her mind instead of escaping?

Probably.

Sophie tried to concentrate, but with the suffocating weight against her chest, the weight that had been there since she had downed that stupid liquid that had almost killed her, she couldn't teleport.

The day before, (she assumed it was day outside the void now) she hadn't been able to read Forkle's mind.

At the time, she'd thought it was just her state or injury and his blocks to keep her from trying.

But she had a sinking feeling in her gut that told her this wasn't just Forkle and her weak physical state.

This was worse.

She was malfunctioning again.

"Can you wake up?" She whispered, trying not to break down again. "I could really use a bright side right now."

Keefe snored.

Sophie smiled softly, through her tears. "That works too, I guess."

She took a deep breath. If she could just calm down, maybe she could figure something out.

So.

One, she was in the void, with an Empath and a Technopath, both unconscious.

Two, she, the Moonlark, couldn't use any of the abilities she'd been given. A quick check of her French told her she could still use her Polyglot abilities. Okay, so none of her useful abilities worked. Which meant she couldn't Teleport or transmit to someone to help.

Three, Edaline had conjured them in the void. People. So Sophie didn't know if Edaline had to conjure them out.

Four, she was going to cry again if she didn't stop listing the horrible, never ending list of cons that she had running through her mind.

Sophie cursed under her breath, fighting the hopelessness rising in her chest.

"Please wake up." She whispered, tightening a hand around Keefe's. Her other hand found Dex's. "Both of you."