Chapter 90-Sophie/Keefe

He brought it up again at breakfast a few weeks later.

They were in a Black Swan compound, where Forkle had called them in early that morning. Sophie didn't know why they were there or even where they were. She just had a gut feeling that something bad would happen.

She just wasn't sure what.

"Have you decided yet?"

Sophie shook her head, focusing on the food in her bowl.

"We can't keep this up." He whispered.

"Why not? Why can't I do both?"

"That's not how it works. You know that."

She was silent again, staring into the soup. Keefe let out a long sigh, and she heard the chair's legs scrape against the floor as he stood. Sophie still didn't look up as he padded across to her.

His large hands took hers as he traced gentle circles on her knuckles. Sophie dared to look up, regretting it when he didn't let her look away—or rather, his eyes didn't.

"Do you think it's better if we just..." he sighed again. "Call it quits?"

Sophie's breath hitched. "Keefe—"

"Ms. Foster?"

***Keefe's POV***

Sophie and Keefe glanced up.

A man stood in the door, hands covered in thick gloves.

Sophie rose, and Keefe leaned back on his heels. She walked over to the man, stepping through the doorway, just out of earshot as they spoke in low voices.

Keefe watched them for a moment, but when the man kept glancing at him with concern—and a little trepidation—he straightened and went back to his seat.

Sophie's emotions spiked, and the hair on his arms rose.

He glanced up at her, but she was already looking at him.

"You good?" He mouthed.

Sophie hesitated and nodded.

Her voice filled his head. "Wait here. I'll be right back."

He nodded and gave her a slight smile. Sophie didn't return it.

***

Sophie came back seventeen and a half minutes later.

He knew because he counted.

She walked back through the door, face pale and drawn. He knew she'd been crying, but she seemed determined to ignore the slight redness of her nose and eyes.

"What was that about?" He asked, trying to sound casual. Sophie had sat down, and had attempted to finish her food, but every time she was about to take a bite, her face would tinge green, and she'd put it down.

She glanced at him. Her mouth opened, then shut abruptly. "Keefe," Sophie stood up, offering her hand. As soon as he stood, she wrapped her arms around him, resting her head on his chest.

"Kinda freaking me out here, Foster," he said, though he reciprocated the hug. He felt her let out a choked sigh.

And then she told him.

She told him what he'd suspected, but had been praying against. They'd found his mom.

Her body.

"Is—is it bad?"

"You can tell it was her."

"Can I see her?"

Yes.