Chapter 58-Sophie

Havenfield felt like a tomb.

The sky reflected the tense atmosphere—a dark overcast in the late evening. But it was also perfect for sneaking around unseen.

They crouched in the clump of what looked like Birch trees, just beyond the clearing, watching Edaline work with the animals. 

The wind whirled through the leaves, rustling and creaking, every noise making Sophie jump.

Otherwise, it was completely quiet—no gnomes feeding the animals or tending to the plants or singing songs to make things grow.

Even the colors of the leaves of the Panakes tree were muted, the leaves falling to the ground, then lifting as the wind took them up.

They'd rushed away from Ravagog, Ro promising to cover for them if Forkle or Cadence asked. Though Keefe had made Sophie wrap an extra bandage around her waist for support, just in case they ran into someone, he hadn't protested against her urgency.

She'd hated the extra twenty minutes that had taken, but he was probably right. The wound was newly scabbed over, and she didn't want it to rip open if they ran into trouble.

"Okay," Keefe whispered, as they crept through the forest. "We go for your dad, right? Grady's going to be harder to control."

"But Edaline can put either of us in the void."

"That's true." Keefe bit his lip. "I really wish we still had that ability restrictor."

"The first one?"

"No," he shook his head, a hard look on his face. "I meant the second one. The one we used on me. No one, and I mean, no one deserved what you suffered through. Except the people who made you suffer through it."

As much as his words made her warm and fuzzy inside, there was also the tiny ounce of guilt sitting at the bottom of her stomach. And as tiny as it was, she wanted it gone.

"Keefe." It took him a moment to focus back on her. "It didn't work."

"What?"

"The ability restrictor of yours? It didn't work. I... I lied. And you believed me, because you trusted me."

Keefe stared at her.

"I'm sorry," she said quickly, "I didn't mean to disuse your trust. I just... I wanted to hear your voice."

His lips quirked in one corner of his mouth. "Biana was right. You are turning into another me."

Then he turned and ran to the next clump of trees, which was just at the edge of the forest, close to where Edaline stood cleaning Verdi.

Sophie gaped after him, but he just motioned discreetly for her to follow.

"Okay, so Edaline first?"

"What's our plan?"

"You distract and I—" he was cut off by a yell. Edaline bolted away from them, to the Verminion cage by Grady.

"Great," he groaned. "Now we deal with both of them."

They crept behind the treeline, in the shadows, but before Sophie could jump out to distract, Keefe grabbed her arm.

"Foster!" He hissed. "Wait!"

"No sign of her?" A voice cooed.

Sophie froze. "Who—"

Keefe put his finger to his lips, then motioned for her to follow. They crawled through the clumps of plants.

Alina stepped into view, flanked by two bodyguards. Edaline and Grady both froze, their faces going blank.