Chapter 33-Keefe

Of course, everyone pestered them the next day about where they had been all night.

Keefe simply informed them, quite mysteriously, that not all secrets could be told. Sophie had rolled her eyes and told them that they had gone exploring in the Foxfire halls.

He was glad she had deflected everything off of them, though. Having her to himself all night had been amazing.

Honestly, the dress wasn't the best part about it. Sophie could wear anything and still look amazing. The best part was just... her. The way she smiled at his stupid jokes, the way her eyes had lit up when he had shown her the garden.

Just being with Sophie made everything else melt away.

He'd give anything to have that everyday.

When he had gone home, he might have squealed into his pillow, then gone to sleep with a smile on his face.

Keefe plopped down in between Sophie and Dex, earning slow claps around the table.

"No detention? Must be a world record." Marella said.

Fitz snorted.

Keefe flashed them all a smirk, bowing as low as he could without faceplanting in his food. "What can I say? I can't resist the reasoning of the brown eyes."

Sophie flushed from next to him. "More like Ro's threatening."

"You give her too much credit," Keefe told her.

Ro growled at him. Keefe ignored her.

It was nice to all joke around at lunch. Keefe noticed that Ellia was sitting with them again, and very close to Fitz for that matter. It was going to be a lot of fun to tease him later.

Dex leaned over to Sophie. "Are you coming over for the, uh," he glanced at Ellia, "the book?"

"Real subtle, Dizznee," Keefe muttered.

"Were you able to translate it?" Sophie asked him.

Dex shrugged, casting another look at Ellia.

She wasn't looking at them, but her head would turn slightly towards them as they grew quieter.

"No," he said softly. "I got a little of it, but the pages are different runes—and languages."

Sophie chewed on her lip. "What did you translate?"

"Like one sentence. It was normal code for Technopaths."

"And after that?"

"Nothing." He whispered, taking another glance at Ellia.

Keefe wondered if Dex was getting paranoid.

Seemed like it.

"I'm going to Tinker's later."

They all looked up at the quiet gasp. But everyone was acting normal. Keefe nudged Sophie and nodded towards Ellia. The tips of her ears were pink.

"What do you know about her?" Sophie transmitted.

Keefe shrugged. "Not much. Like I said, she used to be in my class, like four years ago. Her dad used to be an ambassador to the Goblins, but I think he died a couple years back. Some prototype went wrong, and there was a really big explosion."

"Her mom?"

Keefe shook his head. "Never met her. I wasn't really friends with Ellia, but as far as I know, her mom never came to the Midterm celebration. Just her dad."