Chapter 27-Sophie

Sophie's eyelids fluttered.

Her right arm ached, fingers twitching as she attempted to move the cold muscles. A coarse fabric lay against her neck, draped over her body.

She was lying on her side, left hand tucked under her cheek. Cold, metal bars were pressed against her forehead, torso, and legs.

Slowly, as the dawn peeked through her closed eyelids, she cracked them open, her eyes flicking around, until they finally settled on Keefe.

His blue eyes were closed, his nose pressed against the metal bars, which meant his face was inches away.

As in, if she leaned just a little bit closer, she could...

Nope.

Sophie was not going to kiss one of her best friends in his sleep.

That was creepy.

She gazed at him, not in a creepy way, her sleepy eyes watching his parted mouth puff out little breaths of air that fogged the cool air. A lock of hair fell over his forehead, and Sophie allowed herself to brush it back gently.

Keefe grumbled in his sleep, nudging his face into her arm, which she now realized was basically his pillow.

Sophie flushed.

He moved again, somehow still asleep, and his fingers tightened on the hem of her shirt.

Now that she was aware of him so completely, she was also aware of the fact that they had slept outside.

Together.

Sure, they hadn't done anything, and they were separated by the railings of their balconies, but still.

Sophie was extremely grateful that they weren't at Havenfield.

Grady would've grounded her.

Or killed her.

Yeah, the latter was more likely.

He could never know.

Sophie sighed as the sun rose further, casting a gentle glow onto the sleeping boy's face next to her. She needed to get up for school, but at the same time...

But she gave in, partially because she didn't know what she would've done if Keefe had woken up, and seen their intimate position, and partially because she needed to get up. Her entire body ached.

Sophie slid up to a sitting position, and folded her free hand under Keefe's face, lifting until she could slide it out from under him.

She unclasped his fingers from her shirt gently, holding it for a moment. Sophie looked at him, watched him burrow deeper into his blankets, and sighed.

She dropped her blanket over his, smoothing the edge under his chin.

"Sleep tight, Keefe," Sophie whispered.

***

There were several questions about Keefe missing when she got there. Sophie briefly told everyone that he didn't feel good, though Biana came up later and said that she'd be telling her later what was actually wrong. Sophie was dreading Telepathy, just because Fitz might find out then, during yet another one of the trust exercises Tiergan had them doing.

Ever since the whole, talk, thing, she and Fitz hadn't been connecting normally, at least not in the way they had before.

She had a feeling their bond had broken. But there was no way she was going to Fitz that she wasn't sure she wanted it back.