Chapter 86-Sophie

Keefe hadn't answered the last three times she'd transmitted to him. Sophie had seen where they'd taken him, and had ran as quickly as she could back to make sure everyone was able to get into the city. She'd felt the triumph in his mind soon after she'd told him that it was time, and had exited his mind to join the troops.

Then she'd tried to reach him again—and couldn't.

She'd instructed Biana and the others to get to Tribunal Hall and melt into the crowd, while she went to get Keefe.

She'd been too late.

By the time she'd managed to make it through city back to the tall amber tower they'd taken him into, the building was abandoned, and troops were once again strolling every block.

And they'd been closed off on their exit.

Which was not a good sign.

Sophie swore under her breath as she ducked behind another building while another three goblins passed her. They were arguing among themselves, but Sophie didn't bother to unravel the words. She waited until they had turned the corner and darted back into the next alley over, the one she knew had the straightest shot to Tribunal Hall.

She tried again for Keefe, with no luck.

Instead, she reached out for Biana.

"We're ready," Biana said in her mind. "The Tribunal starts in fifteen minutes. We still don't know who's on stand. No one does, apparently."

Sophie bit her lip. "I couldn't find Keefe."

Biana was silent for a long moment. Then she said, "He'll show up. He always does."

Sophie let out a long breath and looked across the street. "I'll be there soon."

Then she severed their connection.

***

Before walking into the main hall, she pulled an elixir out of her pocket and popped the lid off. She downed it quickly, wincing at the disgusting taste and waited. A few moments later, her vision blurred then focused, and Sophie glanced in the mirror to her right.

She frowned at her now gray-blue eyes, struck by the stark difference they were to her brown eyes. It was a bit unsettling, honestly, and Sophie suddenly was glad her eyes weren't blue. It was just... they were weird, on her. She wasn't sure she liked it. Obviously, other people looked good with it, but she wasn't sure...

Dex and his family hadn't had time to make an elixir for her hair. The eyes would have to be enough, and honestly, Sophie was sure it wouldn't be hard to pass her over. Others would be looking for brown eyes.

Hers weren't brown right now.

It was easy to slip in with the throngs of people drifting into the main hall. She ducked her head and brushed through them, muttering sorry's, but no one was paying attention to her.

"The Council's chairs are still empty," one woman murmured to her friend as Sophie passed. "You don't suppose something happened to them?"

She didn't stick close to them for long enough to hear the reply.

Slowly, she made it closer to the front, making eye contact with Biana, whose ice-blond hair was pulled into a high ponytail, drawing attention to her thick, dark eyebrows above her now gray eyes. She'd pulled the high ponytail into a tight fishtail braid, and flicked it over her shoulder, hitting the person behind her in the face.

The person blinked rapidly, and Sophie almost smiled as she saw Fitz, with his nearly identical hair and eyes, poke Biana.

Sophie didn't recognize others, since she and Keefe had left as soon as they'd gotten their elixirs.

The room hushed abruptly as someone strode onto the platform.

Sophie looked up.

Vespera stood, ignoring the hushed whispers circulating, and motioned for someone else to come in. Slowly, someone marched forward, hands cuffed together. Their golden curls glinting in the light above, head held proudly despite the bonds.

Oralie was followed by the other ten, but Alina wasn't cuffed or being prodded forward with the butts of spears. She strode to stand a few feet from Vespera, lips pursed and face unreadable.

Vespera smiled, the smile of a shark, and called off to the guards standing next to the podium, a cluster surrounding someone.

Sophie's heart plummeted.

Keefe was dragged forward, his head dangling limply at his chest. Audible gasps echoed around the room, as everyone took in his brutal injuries.

Blood matted his golden, thick, beautiful hair, dried and fresh still dripping down from his hair line. His lips were swollen and bruised, and his nose bled as well.

Miraculously, his eyes were unharmed, though still closed, and Sophie watched carefully for the faintest rise and fall of his chest.

His arms were the worst part.

Long, thin, red cuts up and down his forearm in uniform lines. His outer layer had been discarded and Sophie could see more red bleeding through his white undershirt, right where his wound from Dimitar was.

"No," she whispered, as the guards halted, holding Keefe steadily.

Vespera seemed to smile, and and she flicked her fingers. Slowly, the guards shoved the councilors to their knees, and many of them bowed their heads.

The other guards holding Keefe up took up their spears and jammed the butt of it into his gut and the other whipped his around to Keefe's back.

The crowd fell completely silent and Sophie tried to breathe, her hand clasped over her mouth to keep from screaming out.

She'd kill them.

If something happened to him—

If this horrible nightmare got worse—

She'd kill them.

Updated: 9-9-2022

A/N: surprise update! It's a short one, but I figured I'd publish it! I hope y'all had a good week, and feel free to comment about it. I always love hearing what other people are doing!