➳ 38: the battle of new orleans

ELIJAH was on the phone with Klaus while Hayley impatiently stood next to him and Ingrid sat nearby, listening in.

"Yes, brother, what is it?" Klaus greeted in a dull tone of voice, not wanting to be bothered at that moment.

"It appears our wolves have gone astray, brother." Elijah began to explain but Hayley cut in from the background.

"They should have been back hours ago." She added in a panic.

"We need to find them." Elijah said in urgency and interrupted her, holding a hand up to stop her.

"Well, that might be a bit tricky. You see, we've located their car on a back road in the middle of nowhere. I suspect they've been shanghai'd." Klaus informed him.

"And you didn't feel the need to share this information?" Elijah questioned in anger.

"It was my intention to present you with a problem only after I had found an appropriate solution." Klaus responded in nonchalance.

Elijah narrowed his eyes and clentched his jaw. "Do enlighten us." He ordered sternly.

"I'm closing in on it as we speak. The only person who would be bold enough to snatch my wolf allies is the one who has the most to lose." Klaus hinted, waiting for Elijah to find the answer.

Elijah sighed as he came to the realization. "Marcel."

"No, he'll kill them!" Hayley yelled in fear, her broke eyes wide as saucers.

"Genevieve assures me that Marcel has procured a cloaking spell. The only witch who will aid Marcel is Davina. I just need to get one last bit of leverage before I pay her a visit." Klaus explained then paused for a second before speaking again. "And there it is." He said with a smirk evident in his voice and hung up the phone.

Ingrid placed a hand on her baby bump and winced slightly. She had been having contractions all morning but she didn't want to worry anyone until it got closer. They only happened every twenty minutes so she knew she had time before going into active labor. The mild contractions were manageable so she knew it wasn't worth getting everyone worked up.

Elijah left the compound to help Klaus and Jackson while the two women stayed behind the compound. Hayley began pacing around the floor in the study and Ingrid was watching her in aggravation.

"Hayley, your pacing is making me nauseous." The Original complained while resting her head in her hand. "Just sit down for the love of God."

She was about to make a snarky response back when Elijah, Klaus, and Jackson, all looking very disheveled and covered in ash, returned home.

Hayley ran toward them and let out a deep breath in relief. "Thank god you're alive!" She gave Jackson a hug and looked at Elijah over his shoulder. "Thank you."

Elijah nodded at her and watched as Hayley and Jackson sat down to tend to his wounds. His heart aching in his chest at the sight.

"I'm fine, too, thanks for asking." Klaus remarked sarcastically and Ingrid laughed causing him to turn toward her.

"I would have gotten up to do the same but I fear that I am stuck in this chair." She informed him with a wide smirk and motioned to herself. "I am thankful that you're alright and somewhat unscathed."