➳ 25: bloodletting

MARCEL stood out on the porch, waiting for Ingrid to reply, with a large grin on his face.

Ingrid smiled back at him and stepped out of the way, gesturing for him to come inside. He nodded his head in appreciation and walked past her, over the threshold. She closed the door behind him and strolled into the living room, the vampire following suit. "Marcellus Gerard. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Marcel looked at her in surprise and tilted his head to the side. "I wasn't aware you knew who I was."

"And I was not aware that you knew I was here. Let alone alive." She remarked with a blank expression and began pouring him a drink from the bar behind the couch.

"Makes me wonder what else Klaus lied about." He sneered in anger and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Niklaus does what he assumes to be the best and while it may not be what I would do, I support him." She replied in a strong manner and held the drink out to him. "How may I help you, Marcellus?"

He took the drink from her and chuckled kindly. "You can just call me Marcel." He informed her, waving his hand. "I'm here because the word on the grapevine is that you're the most honest and rational Mikaelson."

She nodded in understanding, listening to his heartbeat and not hearing it waver. "While I do not view myself as the most rational, I am the most honest. I do not and will not lie. Now, I may hide things or refuse to answer questions that I believe you do not deserve the answer to but that is the difference." She then gestured for him to have a seat and sat down on the couch across from him, folding her hands and glancing at him with a polite yet stern expression.

"Klaus has been lying to me over and over and I just need some answers." He explained while taking a seat and sipping on his drink. He paused and waited for her to motion for him to continue. "Why are the Mikaelsons back in New Orleans?"

"A few months ago, we had recieved a letter from a particular enemy of Niklaus' stating that a witch here in New Orleans was plotting against him." Ingrid honestly answered then paused for a second with a frown. "That turned out to be a lie."

"So, why are you still here?" Marcel asked sternly, leaning forward in his seat.

"You make it sound as though we are unwelcome." She commented with an amused smirk and answered again. "The witches linked my life to that of Sophie Deveraux and until about three hours ago I was. I would have left but I was not willing to take the risk--"

"That she would do something to get your baby killed." Marcel finished for her with a knowing smile. "Yeah. Congratulations on that by the way."

She knew he wasn't being sincere but smiled at him regardless. "Niklaus was right to praise your intelligence."

"I know that's not the only reason why four Originals are here." Marcel remarked with narrowed, suspicious eyes.

Ingrid licked her lips with a smile and crossed her leg over the other, refusing to answer in full. "If I gave you that answer, you would not be pleased and quite a few people would die. Especially that of Sophie Deveraux."

Marcel narrowed his eyes and moved on from the question. He smiled with a small laugh and pointed his finger at her. "You know, Klaus raised me. I grew up in the Abbatoir." He mused out loud and sat back in his seat, running his fingers across the skin above his top lip. "I remember... there was this portrait of you hanging above the fireplace in what used to be Klaus' office. As a kid, I always thought you were so beautiful. He had painted you with this warm smile and I always felt comforted by the idea of you looking down on me. Watching over me. I liked to think that had you been there... you would have been the mother I never had."