➳ 45: wheel inside the wheel

KLAUS had blood splattered all over his hands and face and was washing up in his bathroom sink when Ingrid popped her head in and smirked at him. "Am I to assume it went well?"

He looked up at himself in the mirror while he washed up and smirked. "Eh, it turns out these witches are delicate creatures. No matter! I suspected my mother had Elijah captive."

"I had thoughts about that as well." Ingrid admitted and walked further into the room. "How do you intend to proceed?"

He turned toward her so they were face to face and dried his hands off. "Esther is too powerful. She won't be easily found. I need to draw her out."

"I think I know how we can do it..." she trailed off with a mischevious smirk plastered on her face.

Klaus was in the middle of digging up Esther's grave where she was buried at the old plantation they had lived in a year prior. Ingrid was standing by, watching with a cold facial expression. He pulled her coffin out of the ground and turned around to glare at the starlings he heard chirping in the trees nearby. He begins to doused the coffin in gasoline and shouted at them. "Are you watching this, Mother? Nothing says "I loathe you" quite like desecrating a corpse!"

He pulled out a lighter and lit it, but before he could drop it on the coffin, he heard a familiar voice call out to him. "Niklaus!"

The couple turned to see Elijah on the other end of the yard, walking toward the plantation house. Klaus, confused and a bit suspicious, followed him. Ingrid glanced at her husband in concern and began to chase after him. "Niklaus! Wait!"

Inside, Elijah started to tap the keys of the piano as Klaus slowly approached him. Elijah smiled up at his brother and furrowed his eyebrows. "You seem troubled. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were worried."

Ingrid walked through the threshold and joined them with a hesitant expression on her face. "Elijah..." she greeted him with narrowed eyes.

Klaus studied his brother for a moment and scowled. "What has she done to you?"

"A thousand years of murder and mayhem, and Mother believes she can still save our souls." He answered in an off tone and ran his finger across the piano keys. "She wants to talk. Perhaps we should listen?"

Klaus smiled for a moment before angrily picking up a piece of overturned furniture. "ENOUGH!" He bellowed at threw it in Elijah's direction. The furniture passed right through Elijah and he disappeared, revealing that he was only an illusion. "The petty illusions, Esther! Where is Elijah?"

Suddenly, Esther, still in Lenore's body, appeared behind them. "He's preoccupied at the moment. I'm helping him find his way. But, not to worry, I'll return him to you. All I ask is that you hear me out."

Ingrid rolled her eyes and groaned in disgust under her breath. Klaus turned toward his mother and glared harshly at her. "You expect me to sit through a sermon of your lies?"

"I have lied in the past, to my shame. But, I'm going to tell you the truth. I'm in the process of making Elijah into the man he was meant to be. And, I intend to do the same for you." Esther explained to him then looked over at Ingrid. "Both of you." She then looked around the plantation and smiled to herself. "After all, you never intended to build a true home here. Even as Ingrid carried your child, as Rebekah and Elijah sought to defend you, your thoughts were focused on only your conquest of the Quarter. Tell me, how did that go?" She questioned with a confused look.