➳ 109: when the saints come marching in

INGRID glanced at her husband in confusion and a small amount of fear. "How are you awake?" She asked while moving her body to block Klaus' path to Elijah.

"You have dip it in the ash each time." Klaus reminded her smugly and waved the dagger in the air causing her to hang her head in realization. "I'm guessing you forgot."

"Ingrid!" Elijah snapped incredulously at her.

"Oh, give me a break!" She turned to face him with a glare and threw her hands up. "I didn't exactly have time to think about it."

"I commend the effort, my love." Klaus said almost proudly and walked toward the circle only for Ingrid to block him.

"Niklaus, it's too late." Elijah explained with a significant look.

"No, it's not." Klaus rejected then glared at Ingrid when she refused to allow him through again. "Move."

"No." She denied sternly and shook her head. "You're going to have to make me."

"Ingrid, I won't fight you." He rejected her challenge with an aggravated expression. "For once, just yield."

"No." She snarled fiercely, standing her ground. "You can be angry with me all you like but it's done."

"Let me do this." Elijah pleaded emotionally to his brother, his hands shaky as he held the white oak stake tight in his grip.

"Put it down and let's talk." Klaus tried to coerce him, speaking calmly and holding his hands out in front of him.

"There's nothing left to say." Elijah refused, shaking his head, and tears pooled in his eyes. "It's time we end this." He explained and held the stake up above his heart.

Klaus tried to speed toward him again but Ingrid held him back. He thrashed against her grip and screamed loudly. "Stop! No! Stop! Stop!"

Hope walked out of of woods to see her family fighting and Elijah holding a stake to himself. "Mom? Dad? What's going on here?"

"Get her out of here." Elijah pleaded, not wanting his niece to bear witness to his death.

"No!" Klaus yelled furiously and shook his head. "Your death is not the answer."

"Death?" Hope inquired in confusion but they were too busy arguing to hear her.

"Neither is yours!" Ingrid snarled at her husband, pushing him away from the circle. "You cannot berate him for doing what you were going to."

"Wh-What are you talking about?" Hope demanded loudly above their voices and the trio turned to face her with hesitant expressions. She noticed Elijah's tears and drew out a deep breath. "They put it into you." She concluded then looked at her father in betrayal. "But you told me that they put it into something safe, and instead, you use my first transition to trick me."

"Hope--" Elijah spoke softly, hoping to have the chance to explain.

The new werewolf whipped her head around to him and gaped in disbelief. "So what happens, you just kill yourself and the magic goes away?" She questioned incredulously and turned to her parents with a bewildered expression. "And you're gonna let him go through with this?"