➳ 91: phantomesque

KLAUS entered the living room and slippe his phone into his pocket while speaking to Freya. "Rebekah and Kol just landed. Although, Kol has made it abundantly clear that he's only here for Ingrid. I just assured them we're mere moments from returning Ingrid to life. Don't make me a liar."

"I can't resurrect Ingrid until I'm certain her mind is whole." Freya responded while pouring salt into a bowl.

"Well, you saved Finn with that very trinket. What's the problem?" Klaus questioned impatiently.

"When that pendant was shattered, Ingrid's mind shattered with it. She's most likely retreated to the innermost of her consciousness." Freya explained stressfully, tired of his pushing and demands.

"How do we find that?" Elijah asked curiously, folding his arms over his chest.

"I don't know." She replied with a heavy sigh and set more items on the table. "It could be anywhere in over a thousand years of memories, but if I try fixing the pendant before finding her and healing her mind; she'll be permanently fractured, like casting a broken bone before it's been properly set."

"Spare me the medical analogies and fix her." Klaus snapped angrily. "Now!"

"I need to go inside and find her. Once I'm sure her mind is stable, then I can fix the pendant." Freya snapped back, placing her palms flat on the table and leaning across it.

"Well, then stop talking and get in there." He lowered his voice into a dangerous tone, taking an intimidating step toward her.

"Niklaus? Take a walk, get some air. Let her work. Please." Elijah advised him sternly, getting between them, and Klaus sighed heavily before backing off. Freya shot him a look and he narrowed his eyes then walked out of the room. Once they were alone, Elijah turned back toward the witch and glanced at her in desperation. "Please tell me that you can do this."

"She's my sister. I'm not gonna stop until she's safe." Freya assured him with a nod.

"Does it help that for more than nine hundred years Ingrid was in a coffin?" Elijah inquired with a small smile and ran his finger along the length of his tie.

Freya paused for a moment then nodded, relieved by this information. "Yes. It'll be over nine hundred years of nothingness to sort through but it narrows it down immensely."

Klaus was in the room where he stored Ingrid's coffin and stood with his back to her. He couldn't bear to look at her without breaking down into sobs. He licked his lips and tapped the doorframe. "I never told you... but over countless years, you have managed to surprise me at every turn. I admire you and sometimes, I even try to be like you. When I'm in need of advice whether it be battle or with the kids, I often ask "what would Ingrid do?" Because you always seem to have to right answers. Unlike us, you see situations in every direction and plan accordingly. You're a hell of a lot smarter than me. I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing.... the kids keep asking about you but I don't have the heart to tell them that their mother is dead. Because... because that would make it all too real. Once I tell the kids, there's no explaining that you're trapped inside a small stone. I figured it be best to wait until... No, we're going to save you. There's no if. We will. I'm not sure what I would do without you. You've been a part of my life for almost every minute of it. You're the love of my life, my best friend. You're truly the one person I could always count on to never betray or leave me. While there are times that you're just a royal pain in the ass, I still can't go on without you. If I lose you, I lose half of myself. I'm so sorry, darling." He finally turned to face her and choked back a sob. "This will not be your end. I will not rest until I bring you back. No matter how many I have to kill to insure it." He promised in a watery whisper and kissed the top of her head.