Chapter Twenty Eight

5 months later

I was incredibly proud of how long he had survived. Looking at him laying in that hospital bed, hooked up to machines, his beautiful hair gone, my boyfriend laid, weak, yet amazingly determined.

It's been five months since Michael told me about the Cancer, three months since I told him I loved him, and two months, and 31 days since he started Chemotherapy. He wanted to live for me.

Michael had the option to be transferred back to Sydney, to be with his friends, to have the opportunity of seeing that sunset overlooking the beach, but he wanted to be with me. I didn't understand how he could give up his dying wish, just to be with me.

"Harry?" He whispered, blinking his tired eyes open. "I'm here, baby." I leaned up to give him a gentle kiss. I spent every waking moment that I wasn't in class by his side. I can't even remember the last time I spent a night in my dorm. It was like everything that was once my reality had dissipated.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him, rubbing his pale arm up and down. "Like shit." He laughed lightheartedly. "Well, I have a surprise for you today." I smiled at him genuinely. I had been planning this surprise the instant Michael told me he was staying in England.

"What kind of surprise?" He muttered out weakly. "Well, let's just say I wanted to bring you a little piece of home." I whispered back, just as the room door opened revealing Michael's surprise.

The look of shock on Michael's face was enough happiness to bring instant tears in my eyes, as Michael's three best friends stepped into the room. "Harry? What? How?" Michael muttered out an excited stream of questions. "I thought you'd want to see them babe, so I flew them up for a few days." I kissed his forehead, standing up.

"I don't think we've formally met, I'm Harry." I introduced myself to the boys. "I'm Ashton, this is Calum, and that's Luke." The curly haired Australian introduced. "We talked on the phone. I can't thank you enough for this Harry." Ashton whispered sincerely, pulling me into a hug.

I stood back for a little while watching the heartwarming reunion in front of me. "It's funny, we always said you'd go bald eventually." Luke laughed, bringing an equally laughing Michael into an embrace.

"You know, you've missed a lot bud." Ashton added. "I finally tied this one down." Ashton smiled, nudging a blushing Luke with his shoulder. "What?! You two are together? Luke you're gay? Dudes! Yes!" Michael rambled happily. "I mean I didn't think I was, but I guess when you find the one it just doesn't matter." Luke smiled at Ashton, intertwining their fingers.

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean." Michael smiled back, glancing over at me, with a silent mouthing of 'I love you'. I whispered back "I love you too", before exiting the room, leaving Michael with his friends. I didn't fail to miss the sight of Calum, silent in the far corner of the room, hidden tears sweeping down his cheeks.

I took the rest of the day to head back to the dorms and catch up with Niall. "I just don't get it, Ni." I whispered, looking up at the ceiling from Zayn's bed. "Why did he stay? His dream was to live his last days on the beach in Austrailia! Why'd he stay.." I muttered more to myself.

"He found a new dream." Niall looked over at me, before walking towards the bed. "You." He whispered, laying down next to me.

"You know, I never told you this, but I got accepted to Juliard last year." Niall began seriously, as I whipped my body towards him. "What!" I demanded. "Yeah. I got accepted...full scholarship actually." He continued.

"Then why aren't you in New York!" I sat up, violently. "Because, my best friend was in trouble, and he needed me." Niall looked at me sincerely. "You turned down Juliard for me?" I tested. "You should know Harry, people will do crazy things for the people they love. Some might give up Australia, some might run away, and others...well, they just might give up their dream school to be with their best friend." He muttered, a tear falling from his blue eyes.

I grabbed Niall and embraced him with such passion, that he would understand how much he meant to me. "Thank you." I whispered in his ear, before pulling back. "Anything, Harry. I won't lose you ever again." He smiled, as we both laughed and wiped the tears from our eyes.

"You better get back to him." Niall smiled. "Yeah, you're right." I stood up to leave. "Hey Ni?" I stopped with my hand on the door knob. "Yeah?" He looked back. "I love you." I smiled. "Love you too, Haz." He shooed me out of his room.

I walked down the familiar hallway, as I hesitated in front of the room I haven't been in in far too long. I hesitated before knocking lightly on the stained wood. Moments later, the face I hadn't seen in ages opened up.

"Harry?" Louis questioned quizzingly. "Hey, Lou." I smiled sady. "What're doing here? I haven't seen you in months?" He jumbled his words nervously. "Yeah, I've been staying at the Clifford's...it's closer to the hospital." I smiled, walking in and sitting on what was once my bed.

"How is he?" Louis asked, sitting across from me on his bed. "Not good.." I tried to smile sympathetically, but was only greeted by more tears. "Hey, it's all going to be okay I promise." He made his way over to me, rubbing circles on my back. "Thanks, I hope so." I smiled back.

I took a glance to find the room almost completely empty. "Are you moving out?" I asked questioningly. "Haz, I'm graduating next month." He chuckled next to me. "Oh, yeah. Sorry I forgot." I shied. "Don't worry about it, you've had a lot going on lately." He smiled.

"So what're you doing after school?" I asked. "Actually, I have a teaching job lined up in Manchester. I just put the deposit down on the apartment for me and the baby." He explained. "What is Eleanor doing?" I asked. "I think going to New York, actually." He whispered. What? "Wait, you two aren't together?" I questioned, puzzled. "We broke up months ago. I'm raising him on my own." He looked at me. "Wow, Lou. I'm so proud of you. Wait, him? It's a boy?" I asked. "Yeah. My baby boy." He smiled.

We looked at each other, just relishing the present moment. It had been so long since I last saw his gorgeous blue eyes, and heard his angelic voice. God, had I missed him. As our eyes made determined contact, I found myself leaning in. Our lips were millimeters away from a colossal mistake, when my phone suddenly went off.

"Hello?" I questioned the unknown number. "Harry? It's Ashton Irwin." He whispered. "Ashton...what's wrong." I stood up nervously. "It's Michael. He's dying, Harry." He choked back painful tears.