Chapter Twenty

Harry POV

The four of us grabbed a taxi to the other side of town. We arrived at the rather cute coffee shop, surprised to find it was a full house. "Wow! This is amazing! Hold up guys, I gotta find my mom." Michael rushed, pushing his way through the crowd.

I stood next to Louis and Eleanor wavering in the awkward tension. "So...how's the date going so far?" Louis questioned as we made our way to a small booth. "Um, pretty good actually." I answered awkwardly scratching the back of my neck.

"Well, in my opinion Michael seems like a lovely fellow." Eleanor smiled. Nobody asked you. To be fair, Michael was actually pretty damn amazing. Sure, I never thought I would like a guy like him, let alone a seventeen year old, but there's just something about him that makes me feel so...comfortable?

I turned my head to see Michael walking towards us with an older blond woman. "Guys this is my mom, mom this is Louis, his girlfriend Eleanor, and this is Harry." Michael smiled warmly at me. "Oh Harry dear, Michael hasn't stopped talking about you all day!" Mrs. Clifford exclaimed in a thick Australian accent, Michael sporting a prominent blush.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't you have work to do or something Ma?" Michael tried changing the subject. "Yes I do actually...have to get open mic started! I can't believe the turnout!" She beamed. "I'm really proud of you Mom." Michael smiled, giving her a warm hug. "You know, Curls here actually said he sings a bit. You should get up there!" Michael exclaimed taking a seat next to me, intertwining our fingers under the table.

"Yeah, Haz has an amazing voice." Louis sheepishly added. "Harry that's wonderful! Would you mind? It would break the tension for the upcoming acts." Mrs. Clifford pleaded. "I wouldn't even know what to sing." I shook my head. "Just sing an original...I know you write." Michael added. Gosh people leave me alone!

"I guess..." I muttered. "Thank you so much dear! Just head on up there!" Mrs. Clifford smiled thankfully at me. Michael walked me up to the stage and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. I took my place center stage on a small black stool, an old fashioned microphone standing tall before me.
I took a glance out into the simmering audience, Michael front row beaming proudly, and Louis smiling timidly from our corner booth. I saw an employee plugging in the sound chords, knowing that was my queue to begin. I knew what song I wanted to sing, what I was best at, but catching those blue orbs hiding in the distance made my breath hitch.

I blinked away the shining lights, took a deep breath, and passionately began a declaration I had written long ago.

Now you were standing there right in front of me, I hold on, it's getting harder to breathe. All of a sudden these lights are blinding me, I never noticed how bright they would be..

Deep breaths Harry, keep going...

I saw in the corner there is a photograph, no doubt in my mind it's a picture of you, It lies there alone in its bed of broken glass, this bed was never made for two..

You can do this.

I'll keep my eyes wide open,
I'll keep my arms wide open,

Look at him Harry. Look up.
I can't.
Close your eyes Harry.

Don't let me
Don't let me
Don't let me go
'Cause I'm tired of feeling alone

Don't let me
Don't let me go
'Cause I'm tired of feeling alone

Open your eyes Harry.

I promised one day that I'd bring you back a star, I caught one and it burned a hole in my hand, oh, seems like these days I watch you from afar, just trying to make you understand...

Harry, look.

I peer up and look afar into the shining blue orbs, the object of my inspiration. His mouth ajar, and I swear I could see the pools of water gathering in the ocean that is his eyes.

Keep going.

I'll keep my eyes wide open, yeah,

Sing to him.

Don't let me
Don't let me
Don't let me go
'Cause I'm tired of feeling alone
Don't let me
Don't let me go

This is for him.

Don't let me
Don't let me
Don't let me go
'Cause I'm tired of feeling alone

He stared at me. What was going through that beautiful mind?

Just keep going. Sing.

Don't let me
Don't let me
Don't let me go
'Cause I'm tired of feeling alone

I look up once more...

Don't let me
Don't let me go
'Cause I'm tired of sleeping alone.

He's gone.