Chapter Twenty Nine

Louis POV

I watched as Harry's entire world came crashing down around him. I knew what that phone call was the instant I saw his face. Michael was dying.

I rushed over to a panicking Harry, and pulled him into a calming hug. "He's dying Lou! He's dying-I can't...I need to get to the hospital!" He panicked, shoving me away. "Harry. You're in no condition to drive. C'mon, I'll take you." I rubbed his shoulder, grabbing my car keys.

I drove as fast as I could to the familiar hospital. I watched as Harry ran as fast as possible to Michael's room, needing to get to him desperately. I took my seat across the hall from the room. The commotion in the corridor was heartbreaking. I faintly heard Harry's cries, Mrs. Clifford's heart-wrenching demands, and what I assumed were Michael's friends, gathered together near me, grasping unto each other as the Doctor finished taking a corpse-like Michael off oxygen support. 

I couldn't take it. I couldn't bear the situation; the mere thought of a parent losing their only child. I couldn't imagine my best friend dying of Cancer, and God, I couldn't fathom losing the person I was in love with. Yet, the six of us gathered, waiting, literally waiting for a seventeen year old kid to die. 

"He wants to say goodbye, boys." The Doctor motioned to Michael's friends. I now sat alone in the cold hallway. I felt so out of place, like I didn't deserve to be here. I didn't even like Michael at first. I felt like I should've been crying, or consoling, or anything! I dropped my face into my shaking hands in exasperation. "Mr.?" I heard a small voice from next to me. 

I peered up to see the beautiful little girl from months ago before me. "Why are you crying?" She whispered, like it was a secret. "Someone I know is dying, sweetie." I explained to her carefully. "Do you love them?" She asked. "No, but someone I do love does. Very much." I brushed her blonde curl away from her eyes. "You should go hug the person you love then. They're probably sad." She frowned. "You're probably right." I gave her a shy smile. "Why is he dying?" She asked. "He's sick, honey." I whispered back. "Oh. I was sick too." She dropped her head. 

"Mommy hugged me all the time when I was sick, and Mommy loves me." She smiled. "Now I'm all better! Dr. Richards said I'm in rem-em..remmishton?" She tried stuttering. "Remission?" I chuckled. "Yeah!" She giggled adorably. "Good. I'm very happy for you." I patted her rose colored cheek. "I've got to go back to bed, or they'll get mad." She whispered. "Member to hug the person you love all the time, and they'll be ok." The insanely smart little girl smiled at me, before walking back to her room. "Wait! What's your name beautiful?" I asked. "Lux!" She whisper shouted.

Lux. Light. An overwhelming sparkle in the abyss of the end. 

In what seemed like hours, was a mere ten minutes before everyone came flooding out of Michael's room. Oh no. Not yet. Harry walked over to me, with red rimmed eyes and tear stained cheeks as I pulled him into a hug. "He wants to see you." He whispered into my hair. "What?" I asked nervous, wide eyed. "Please." He sighed. I nodded, and hesitantly walked into the dreaded hospital room. 

"Michael?" I nervously whispered, walking over to his bed. "Hi Louis." He tried smiling. I awkwardly sat in the chair beside him. "How are you feeling?" I asked. Stupid question. What the fuck Louis? "Well, I'm dying, so not amazing." He chuckled. His breaths were so labored. You could see how strong he was. "I know you don't like me very much, but I need you to promise me something." He took my shaking hand, tears starting to fall out of both of our eyes. "Promise you something?" I started sobbing. "You promised me you wouldn't hurt him! You can't leave him Michael. You can't! He loves you!" I cried out. 

"I love him too. So fucking much." He tried breathing out, leading into hectic coughs. All you could hear among the deafening silence of the hospital room, were our choked sobs, and the slowly fading beeping pulse. "Which is why I need you to promise me. Promise me you won't ever leave him again. He needs you now more than ever. He still loves you Louis. Do you know that?" He looked at me sincerely. I couldn't stop the tears. Why was this happening? "Promise me!" He screamed with all his might. "I promise. I promise. I'll never leave him again." I grasped his cold hand tight, as the pulse machine became sickeningly slow.

Flashback

I woke up with a headache, worse than I'd ever experienced in my life. Fucking hangovers. Where the hell was I? I rolled over on the unfamiliar bed, the sun peering through the slotted shades. I rolled over only to bump into another sleeping body next to mine. Then, I remembered the night before. Shit.

"Louis?" She groaned from beside me. I can't believe this. "Gemma. Wake up!" I whisper shouted to her, gently shaking her naked body. It took her a minute before she came into realization. "Fuck!" She cried out, sitting up abruptly. We both sat there in silence for a few minutes, staring at the white wall ahead of us. I had just had sex with my best friend's sister. My best friend who I was in love with. Un-fucking-believable Louis. 

"Don't tell Harry?" She begged, he brown eyes piercing mine sincerely. Harry. What would he think? What would happen if he found out? He'd hate me! "I won't. Trust me." I grumbled out, quickly searching for my clothes. "Where are you going?" Gemma asked stoically. "I'm leaving." I replied. Little did she know, I meant for good. 

I couldn't stay there anymore. I couldn't look into his gorgeous green eyes knowing that I had ultimately betrayed him! I had to leave. I'd go back to Doncaster, and he'd forget about me. Harry Styles would just become the boy I used to be in love with. The boy I would, no, could never have.

End Flashback 

It was seconds later when bodies came rushing back into Michael's room, pushing me into the tight corner. The Doctor and Nurse's took their places next to the bed, as Harry grasped his hand, Mrs. Clifford behind him. It seemed like a movie; like everything happened in slow motion. The pulse died down to almost nothing. "I love you, Curls." Michael squeezed Harry's hand. "I love you too, Kiddo." Harry placed a chaste kiss to Michael's pale lips. Then, there was silence.

"Call it." The female nurse whispered to the Doctor. "Time of death, 16:07." He muttered, moving out of the way for the nurses to unhook the machines. I stood in the dark corner shaking, as I watched the life literally drain from Harry's face. I knew he was going to break, but I would be there to pick up the pieces this time.

I will never leave him again. I promise, Michael. I promise.