Chapter Twenty Eight

Me: Hey.

As soon as I send the text, I nearly fling my phone across my room. My heart moves into my throat and the thoughts begin.

Why the hell did I do that? She's going to think I'm so needy. I mean, she probably already has shit that she's dealing with and definitely doesn't need mine too.

Shit. What if she doesn't respond at all? That would be so fucking embarrassing. That would be her way of just ghosting me completely because I've been such a burden lately. And-.

My thoughts are cut short as my phone vibrates in my hand. As I unlock my phone and see the message, a smile of relief floods onto my face.

Margot: Hey are you feeling better?

Me: I'd like to.

Margot: And you think I can help with that?

Me: Well....

Margot: Because if I remember correctly I made you cry last night

Me: Twas a fluke.

Margot: I'm serious Aspen

Me: And so am I. That wasn't your fault in any way, and I could explain it when we hang out if you'd like.

Margot: You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to

Me: Shit. You're missing the point. I need a friend right now, Margot. And you're that friend.

Margot: Damn friend zoned yet again

Me: You know it. ;)

Margot: Well what do you want to do?

————

"Ice skating?" Margot questions me as we pull into the parking lot of the skating rink. I just flash her a smile before hopping out of the car and beginning to make my way to the building, assuming she'll follow.

It's only after we rent our skates and are sitting down to put them on that she speaks again.

"And we're here because?" Margot asks with raised eyebrows.

"We can't just hang out and do something fun together like this?" I counter. Margot quirks one eyebrow. I let out a sigh and shake my head before standing up.

"Can we just have some fun for a little bit please? Take my mind off things?" I nearly beg her to which she caves immediately as she grabs my hand so that I can pull her up onto her feet. We then waddle over to the ice and as soon as I step onto it, my stomach does a small flip and I have to grab on to the boards to steady myself. Meanwhile, as soon as Margot steps out onto the ice, it's smooth sailing for her. I scoff at the situation. Of course she's good at ice skating. What isn't she good at?

"You good over there?" she asks me with a small laugh.

"Fuck off," I tell her before flashing the middle finger to accompany my words.

"If you say so," she says with a shrug. With those words, Margot then skates off around the rink, leaving me to fend for myself against my own balance as I watch her effortlessly glide across the ice. What a bitch.

Yet I can't seem to look away from her as a serene smile dances across her face. I look down at my feet and silently wish that they quickly learn to skate like hers. However, after the span of a few minutes (though it felt like hours), Margot returns to my side after doing a lap of the rink.

"I could feel your eyes on me from the other side of the rink," Margot whispers in my ear, teasing me. I hum before looking at her as if challenging her claim.