Chapter Fifteen

Margot: Where the hell did you disappear to after school?

Margot: I thought you had to tell me something.

Me: Sorry. Last minute cheer practice for a reason still unknown.

Me: And I had to tell you that I got an A- on my last math quiz!!

Margot: That's it?

Me: Excuse me??

Margot: Idk I thought you had something important to tell me.

Me: That is important!!

Margot: That's predictable.

Me: Aw. I didn't know you believed in me so much.

Margot: I don't.

Margot: I just know I'm a good tutor.

Me: You are!!

Margot: Aw don't make me blush.

"Let's go, girls. Practice started five minutes ago. Get moving," our coach yells into the locker room. I jump at the sound of her voice and nearly drop my phone in the process. Letting out a sigh, I tuck it into my bag before getting up and heading to the gym where the mats are already set up for practice.

After helping lead the team in our usual stretch, Coach Meghan calls us over to her.

"The football season just ended which means that sideline cheer has too. We'll probably start learning our rounds once we get into December, but today the plan is to work on some new stunts. Practice got moved to today because I have personal obligations that prevent me from being here tomorrow. So no practice tomorrow. You get the day off. Now get in your stunt groups and warm up a couple basic stunts before we start getting to the new stuff. Go,"

"Hey, girls," Ashley says sickly sweet. The rest of the stunt group gives her a weak greeting before we begin to warm up stunts. And I expected Ashley to give me bullshit, I just didn't expect it to be so soon into warming up stunts. As she and one of her best friends, Kirsten, let me down after a cradle, Ashley decides to unfortunately open her mouth.

"It's too bad that the football team didn't make it to states this year," Ashley tells us with a sigh. Kirsten nods in agreement, per usual for her.

"Yeah. I really thought this year-" I begin before I'm cut off.

"Not like they had a chance anyways," Ashley interrupts me.

"What do you mean?" Tori asks her.

"I mean, certain people just shouldn't be on the team. They really just bring the whole team down with them," Ashley says, and I almost immediately know that she's incorrectly referring to Ivy just to get on my nerves. I open my mouth to snap back at her, but Britney, my front spot, beats me to it.

"I'm sorry, Ashley. But I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The team really did great this year. I mean, they made it further than our team has in years so that definitely says something. Now can we get back to stunting?"

And being so nice has its clear privileges as no one would dare talk back to Britney. Her ruling is definitive. So we get ready to warm up the next stunt.

"5, 6, 7, 8. 1, 2, and 3, 4. 5, 6, 7, 8. 1, 2, and, 3, 4. Twist cradle!" I hear my Tori shout from below me as I'm lifted into a stunt. I nod slightly, now knowing what I have to do.

"5, 6, 7, 8," my back spot shouts again. I'm then thrown into the air. I twist my hips and pull my arms down to my sides. It's not long at all until I land in the arms of my bases, safely.