Chapter Forty Eight

When I was younger, I used to pray to the Lord above that I would just happen to get hurt so that I would need crutches. Every time I slightly rolled my ankle or heard my knee make a popping noise, there was a small voice in the back of my mind hoping that it would be enough to get me a set of crutches.

Now, after committing apostasy, the Lord above finally answered my prayers. And honestly, I have no fucking clue why I prayed so hard for this in the first place.

I suppose I have to cut myself a bit of slack, as I was a child. I was a child who saw classmates come in with crutches and get a shit load of attention out of no where.

As strange as it was, everyone wanted to try out the crutches and hear the gruesome story about how the kid got the injury, though the tales were never as gruesome as an overactive child's mind hoped.

However, since being put on crutches, they are definitely not all that my younger self hyped them up to be. My arms are constantly tired and as gross as it is, my pits have never been sweatier. The crutches are so bulky, and my standing leg gets tired way too quickly. On top of that, you'd think that high schoolers would have some sort of decency in the halls given that we are all nearly adults, but that simply isn't the case.

I nearly scream after the third person in a row nearly knocks me over as they attempt to weasel their way to their class.

"She's clearly trying to get through! Get the fuck out of her way!" a voice suddenly bellows from beside me.

Letting out a small breath of relief, I turn to Tori to give her a grateful smile.

"Watch your language, Victoria," Mr. Todd calls from the doorway of his classroom.

"I'll watch my language when these knuckleheads watch where they're going!" she says as she gestures over to me.

The teacher just chuckles before ducking into his classroom, clearly deciding that pretending he didn't hear anything in the first place is his best course of action.

"It's not even 10am, and Victoria is already getting herself into trouble," Naomi teases from the other side of me.

Tori rolls her eyes at the comment.

"It's not even 10am and Naomi is already fussing over me," Tori quips back.

"I wouldn't call it fussing. I was just making a statement," Naomi attempts to defend herself.

"No! Don't take it back!" Tori rushes out before adding, "I don't mind you fussing over me, Nao."

Tori's statement is then obviously followed by a wink in the other girl's direction.

"You're so stupid," Naomi huffs.

"Only for you, babes. Only for you,"

I roll my eyes at them before shaking my head.

"Are you guys done flirting yet?" I ask as I look between the two of them. Naomi instantly turns beat read as she sets her eyes straight in front of her, and Tori smirks as she gives me a nod.

"Sorry. Can't help it," Tori says with a shrug, "Are you doing ok though, Cap?"

She gestures down to my foot and my clear struggling in using my crutches.

"If people wouldn't be utter dicks then I'd probably be much better," I huff, the sound of my crutches against the tile accenting my words.

"I'm sorry, dude," Naomi says softly with a frown.

"Hey. It's not your fault! If anything, you two are what made my weekend bearable. I seriously don't think I could've survived the chronic boredom of being couch ridden on my own," I state as all three of us come to a stop in front of the classroom where Naomi and I have photography, "Plus you were a real trooper for sitting through the entire Scream series, Nao."