Chapter Forty One

I've been to enough high school parties that I probably shouldn't be nervous for them anymore. They're all pretty similar anyways, especially after I've had a bit to drink. Maybe something notable happens that people can talk about the next day, but that only lasts until the next party happens and the next person gets wasted enough to do something much too stupid to even think of sober.

I've been to Ashley's house a few times before, all for cheer related reasons because I wouldn't even imagine entering the lair of that demon otherwise. This time isn't much different, a social obligation I'm bound to by being a part of the team. This one just involves more alcohol and more teenagers to drink said alcohol.

So maybe it's the fact that it's Ashley's party that makes me specifically nervous. Or maybe it's the general unknown that comes with every party. Or maybe it's a combination of a million other factors such as the number of people that are going to be there that expect me to be outgoing and friendly, and the decision on whether I'm actually going to drink or not tonight and how that could cost me either way.

Or maybe it's the fact that the girl sitting next to me is going to have to see me so organically within this situation and still like me afterwards, after seeing how fake I can truly be.

"Are you sure you actually want to go to this?" Margot asks me, successfully breaking me from my thoughts.

"I mean, Ashley invited us. So why not?"

"We don't like Ashley," Margot quickly offers as an excuse.

"That is correct, but Ashley isn't supposed to know that we don't like Ashley," I point out, almost trying to set a disclaimer out in the open now about how I'm going to act as soon as we step through those doors.

"That's too complicated. If you don't like someone then stay away from them. Then they can't bother you anymore,"

"And that, love, is why some people think you're polarizing,"

"Love?"

"I'm obsessed with a British boy band. You're gonna get that sometimes," I explain.

"Alright, love. Anyways, they can think what they want to think because at least I don't have to deal with this kind of situation," Margot says with a shrug.

"Free booze is free booze," I respond to her.

"And annoying people are annoying people," Margot mimics me.

"Yes. But the alcohol lessens their effect. It's a trick I learned,"

"I thought you were trying to stop drinking? Was that something I just made up?"

"It's funny you think I could hang out at Ashley's house sober,"

Margot gives me a look to which I let out a sigh and shake my head.

"Ivy was always the one who wanted me to stay sober," I remind her. Just mentioning Ivy puts a frown on my face that I quickly try to hide, knowing that I should probably be over her not being at the competition already.

"So she's the only one who can worry about you?" Margot questions me.

"No. I mean, she's not here now so-"

"Aspen. I don't want to make decisions for you because that's not my place. And while I'm proud of you for cutting back on drinking lately and support that, I'll also be there for you if you end up drinking because I'm planning on staying sober. Ok?"

As Margot finishes, I'm not exactly sure how to respond.

"Um, yeah. Ok," I manage to get out before I snap my attention back down to my hands. Margot doesn't say anything else as she turns off the car and gets out before walking around to open my door for me, successfully breaking me out of the slight trance I fell into due to her words.