Chapter Nine

"Ok. But why is it our job to make sure they keep cheering?" Tori complains with a forced smile on her face.

"We're the cheerleaders, Tori," Naomi responds, not even looking her way.

"And? They're seniors. They should understand the drill on what to do at pep rallies by now,"

It's then that Naomi breaks her happy facade to glare at the girl next to her.

"They're playing take the bacon, and all the seniors already lost. Who are we even cheering for?"

Naomi goes to open her mouth but sees me shaking my head.

"No, no, no. She has a point. It's almost over anyways," I say with a shrug. Naomi just huffs and turns away from the crowd of seniors and back to the classic gym class game being played on a much more intense scale then originally intended.

As the sounds of sneakers skidding on the court echo throughout the gym, I glance over at Ivy who's getting ready with Dustin to be announced as part of the homecoming court. She's laughing at something Dustin just said and I have to repress the smile that's threatening to escape onto my face. There's something so beautiful when she laughs. The way her fiery red hair flows behind her as she throws her head back. The way her green eyes sparkle and squint together, causing for wrinkles that would interrupt all her freckles if they actually had a pattern to them. The way her smile looks complete that makes my stomach do flips. I can't help but wish I was the one who just made her laugh that way.

Sudden loud cheering interrupts me from my thoughts as the juniors win the game.

"Now, it is time to introduce the homecoming court," the vice principal's voice blares throughout the gym speakers.

"First, we have Cameron Wright and Britney Kasser,"

I cheer on my teammate as she runs out onto the court with a huge smile on her face, her boyfriend towing behind her. They do a cute dance that I couldn't seem to concentrate on watching and before I know it, they're done.

This happens with the next two couples. They get announced, I'm barely able to pay them any attention outside of clapping my hands for them, and then it's over. However, I suddenly perk up when I see a familiar head of red hair waiting at the gym entrance to be announced.

"Fourth, we have our very own football co captains Ivy Charleston and Dustin McCob,"

I cheer as loud as I can for my two best friends as they run out onto the court, each carrying a microphone. I furrow my eyebrows as they stop in the center of the court. Dustin suddenly crosses his arms over his chest as if trying to look nervous as Ivy nods for the music to start. Piano notes ring throughout the gym as Ivy and Dustin look at each other before Ivy starts singing the first part. It's then that I recognize the song: "The Start of Something New" from High School Musical. Clearly, other students are starting to have the same realization as there's some laughter throughout the gym.

It's only when Dustin begins singing that the performance goes from good to great. Not having a high voice, he struggles to hit any notes at all while still trying to stay in character. It's when the first chorus begins that people turn the flashlights on their phones and begin to act like their terrible singing is an actual concert. I catch Ivy's eye and give her a small smile to which she returns before not to subtly nudging Dustin in the side. He just nods in response and as they finish the first chorus, and then he suddenly runs to the side of the gym to grab something. I look at Ivy, confusion evident on my face as she just stands there and has the nerve to shrug at me.

It's then that I check back on Dustin who's walking back to the center of the court with a bouquet of flowers in his hand, roses. Microphone in hand, he then begins to approach me. I slowly start to shake my head as he chuckles and motions for me to stand up.