Chapter Forty

"If you don't leave now, you're gonna miss the bus, kiddo!" my dad shouts from the kitchen as I scramble to tug my shoes on my feet, slightly distracted by my phone's constant ringing in my pocket.

"Fucking hell," I mutter underneath my breath as I aggressively finish knotting my shoe before pulling my phone out of my pocket and nearly dropping it as I hit the button to accept the call and hold it next to my ear.

"Hello?" I greet whoever's on the other end of the line, the caller ID being neglected completely in this moment. In the seconds that I wait for a response, I simultaneously attempt to catch my breath from getting ready at such super sonic speeds, and I'm left hoping that whoever I'm talking to doesn't mind my dog-like panting.

"You good?" Margot's voice resounds from the phone speaker before being followed by chuckling.

"Woke up late," I explain as my heart begins to beat fast for an entirely different reason.

"Really? Sounds like you just ran a marathon,"

"Dude. I had to run down my stairs. That's basically the same thing," I argue against her comment.

"And you think you're gonna get through an entire cheer competition today?"

"Oh, fuck off," I say as I roll my eyes, despite her not being able to see me.

"Language," my dad chides from behind me, startling me slightly, given that I didn't hear him creep up.

"Dang. I didn't even hear you coming," I tell him as a small smile slips onto my face.

"What?" Margot asks, clearly only having heard me.

"Talking to my dad. Sorry," I explain to her quickly before turning my attention back to my father.

"I guess I missed my calling as a spy," my dad jokes around. I just shake my head at him before giving him a quick hug.

"I'm heading off to meet the team. Am I gonna see you at the competition?" I ask him as I grab my keys, to which he furrows his eyebrows in response.

"Yeah. Um, is your friend not driving you?" he questions me before pointing towards the front door.

"Wait. What?"

I tug my cheer bag onto my shoulder before walking out the front door, sending my dad a quick wave before I close it behind me. It's only then that I notice the car pulled into my driveway and the beautiful girl sitting in the driver's seat. As a smile spreads onto my face, I quickly end the phone call before hurrying over to her car.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I inquire as soon as I open the passenger side door.

"Nice way to greet your girlfriend who woke up early just to Uber your ass," Margot quips back which quickly puts a smile on my face as I get into the car.

"How did you know.... how did you plan this?"

"I do have Naomi's phone number, believe it or not," Margot answers me with unfailing sarcasm.

"I'm not sure how I feel about my girlfriend texting other girls," I joke as I click my seatbelt into place. However, when I turn my attention back to the girl in the driver's seat, I instantly notice the frown on her lips.

"What?" I ask her softly, concern beginning to bubble in my stomach.

"I was just.... I was hoping to see you in your cheer uniform," Margot says as though it's the most disappointing ordeal in the world, despite the smirk that's threatening to spill onto her lips. Rolling my eyes, I smack her shoulder before shaking my head. Margot just chuckles in response as she shifts her car into gear and pulls out of my driveway before promptly taking off down the street.