Chapter Five

"A C+!" I almost shout as I look down at the test that was just handed back to me. Tori lets out a snort in front of me, and I just roll my eyes at her.

"I don't think you're one to talk here Miss D-," I tell her.

"I'm not the one who needs to be getting good grades in this class, Miss Academic Scholarship,"

"Oh, shut up," I say as I glance back down at the test laying on top of my desk.

"It's just that you were so close, and yet so far. What did you need? A B?"

"Shut up, Tori,"

"Sorry, Cap.... You know I love you,"

"That's what you claim," I say as I narrow my eyes at her.

Glancing back down at my paper, I notice the words "Come see me after school" are circled in red ink, and I wouldn't even have to show up to know what's coming next.

As the bell rings, signaling the end of class, I nearly jump out of my seat.

"But jumpy there, Cap. You good?" Tori asks me with a laugh.

"Oh, fuck off,"

Mr. Todd clears his throat at the front of the room as he raises an eyebrow in response to my language. I just smile sheepishly at him before rushing out of the classroom. As I turn the corner to head to my next class, I immediately spot someone who should be on the other side of the school at the moment.

"Ivy?"

Ivy sends me a small smile before quickly walking over to me.

"You know you're on the wrong side of the school right? At this rate, if none of the dumb fucks they call 'freshmen' get in your way, you might make it to class," I joke, trying to test exactly how sad Ivy is at the moment. If she laughs or glares at me for my language choice, it's not that bad, but if she doesn't....

Ivy just sniffles from beside me, and I look over at her to see tears welling in her eyes. Widening my eyes, I immediately grab her wrist and tug her along behind me into the bathroom, not the closest one, the one that I know will be vacant so that no one else gets to see Ivy cry, because that's one thing that I know she would rather not have happen. As she enters the bathroom in tow behind me, I release her wrist as I quickly check the stalls to make sure no one else is in here, even if it is unlikely. After finding them all to be empty, I turn back around to face her and instantly notice that the tears aren't just welling in her eyes anymore but sliding down her cheeks. Letting out a sob, she throws herself towards me and I immediately wrap my arms around her to steady her.

"Hey, it's ok, Ivy. Everything is going to be ok," I reassure her quietly as I rub circles on her back. As I continue to mutter words of reassurance, she begins to settle down and her sobs are reduced to simple sniffles. Pulling away from her, I give her a smile as I look into her eyes. They're red and blotchy from crying but still manage to be absolutely beautiful.

Using the palm of my hand, I gently wipe away the tears from her cheeks and tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"Thanks, Aspen," she says quietly.

"It's seriously no problem, grasshopper," I tell her.

"I know, but you're missing class right now to deal with me, and I know how much you enjoy design,"

"Seriously, Ivy. It's fine. Now, are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

Ivy lets out a sniffle and nods slowly in response.

"Ok. But you have to give me a minute to explain because it's going to sound stupid at first,"

"Ivy. If there's something bothering you this much, then it's not going to be stupid,"