Chapter Ten

Me: You on your way yet??

Dustin: Geez woman. Do you not want me looking my very best?

Me: It doesn't matter how you look. Everyone will be looking at me anyways.

Dustin: Why? Cuz you're so ugly?

Me: No. Because they won't be able to bear looking at you for more than a second.

Dustin: Dude. I told you I'm trying to look my best.

Me: It's natural. You can't help it.

Dustin: Wow. Since when did you get so mean?

Me: Oh, you know that I'm just joking with you. You probably look fine, and I'm impatient. So hurry up.

Dustin: I'll be over in twenty.

Me: Sorry if you took any of that seriously. You know I love you and you would be my first prey if I were straight.

Dustin: Of course I know that, dude. And right back at you.

Dustin: Wow. Maybe Ivy really was onto something with us.

Me: Yeah. Too bad she also really wasn't at the same time.

Dustin: True that. See you in 20.

Me: It's a date.

Dustin: That it unfortunately enough is.

Shaking my head, I set down my phone and begin my wait for the homecoming date that was more so assigned to me than willingly chosen. It then actually ends up being twenty minutes until I hear the door bell and rush down to welcome my best friend to my home.

"M'lady," Dustin greets me as he extends out in front of him, a blue and white corsage that in no way matches my dress.

"Wow. You got me the perishable flowers and everything," I tell him sarcastically as I hold out my wrist for him to slip the corsage on. It's then that we both actually look at what the other is wearing. Rather than going for the classic black suit, Dustin opted for a dark blue color which he matched with a white dress shirt and a light blue tie. I, on the other hand, am wearing a short blood red dress with silver heels and jewelry.

"So.... we didn't discuss any kind of color coordination plans," Dustin says, stating the obvious as he adjusts his suit jacket.

"Yeah? Well someone asked me too late for that," I tell him.

"At least someone asked you, though it's honestly still beyond me why anyone would want to put up with you all night,"

I whack Dustin on the arm before pulling him into my house.

"Dad! If you wanted pictures, now is the time," I shout, not exactly knowing where my dad currently is in the house. It's not until five minutes later that he actually walks into the room, camera in hand.

"Took you long enough. I thought you were the one who said they wanted pictures of 'my last homecoming'?" I ask sarcastically.

"I'm an old man, Aspen. What do you expect from me?"

"You're fine, dad. You know I was just messing with you," I say with a smile.

"I know, kiddo," he says as he gives me a quick kiss on the top of my head. He then backs away and squints his eyes as he looks around the room, almost as if attempting to be a true photographer for an occasion that doesn't actually need one.

"Ok. I don't like this wall. The lighting is terrible over here. Let's move to the living room," he decides with a nod, leaving Dustin and I with no say as he walks through the doorway of the living room with the assumption that we're following close behind.