Chapter Thirty One

"Fuck me with a ton of bricks," I groan to Tori as I take a seat in our first hour class which sadly remained as calculus.

"You're clearly not a morning person," I hear a voice resound from behind me. Upon flipping around in my seat, slightly startled by the voice, I find Margot sitting there with a smirk on her lips. Her hair is pulled back into a loose braid and her uniform is wrinkled and slightly oversized, clearly not taken care of.

"And you are?" I ask her in slight amazement.

"No, but I'm not as bad as you are, clearly," Margot quips back.

"That's not saying much," I say before turning back around in my seat. Then something dawns on me, causing me to turn back to look at the girl again.

"You're in this hour now?" I ask her.

"Yeah. Schedules change second semester. Did you not know?"

"Smartass," I say with an eye roll as I turn around. While my brain tells me that I don't want to deal with her this early in the morning, the small smile playing on my lips says otherwise.

"Hey, Tori," I greet my friend sweetly, mostly just to rub it in Margot's face that she pissed me off so I'm not talking to her right now.

"Hi?" she responds as she turns around in her seat to face me.

"How was your break?" I attempt to start up the conversation. Tori rolls her eyes at me and I quite honestly can already predict her response.

"Natalia came home for Christmas so I'm sure you can guess how that went. 'Victoria, look how successful Natalia is'. 'Victoria, why can't you be more like your sister, she set such a good example'. I love her, I swear, but I just wish she didn't come home sometimes," Tori says with a sigh. I nod my head, knowing her situation all too well.

Tori's older sister Natalia is one of the best surgeons in the state and when Tori came along, her parents just expected her to follow in her sister's footsteps. After seeing that Tori wasn't succeeding in the same way Natalia had in her school, they moved Tori to the lovely private school we attend in an attempt to "set her on the right path". It didn't really work and her parents learned to mostly accept it, that is, until Natalia visits and reminds them of all her success and, consequently, Tori's "failures".

"I'm sorry, dude," I tell her, not sure what else to say because it's just a common situation at this point. Tori just shrugs in response, before looking back up at me, eyes widened slightly.

"Wait. Is your brother still home for the holidays?" Tori asks me before wiggling her eyebrows. I groan at her question.

"I told you, Tori. Alex is off limits. Always has been and always will be,"

Tori just smiles at my statement before shaking her head, chuckling to herself.

"I was just messing with you, Cap. He's not really my type anyways,"

"Your type? You mean Keegan right?" I ask her with a smirk, raising my eyebrows slightly. Tori's cheeks burn red at my implication.

"We're just friends," she tells me in a rather deadpanned tone. I wiggle my eyebrows suggestively, prompting her to flip me off before turning back around in her seat and pulling out her phone, clearly intending on ignoring me for a while.

Glancing up at the clock on the wall, I almost let out a groan when I realize there is still another couple minutes until class starts. And so begrudgingly, I turn back around to look at Margot who's already looking at me with her arms crossed over her chest, as if expecting this was going to happen.