Chapter Twenty Four

I couldn't keep my eyes off of her.

It would be cheesy and untrue to say that she looked more beautiful than ever, so I wouldn't dare utter those words. For, she looked just as beautiful as ever and she simply amplified that beauty tonight. She's neither more nor less beautiful. She's Ivy, and she in and of herself takes up her own definition.

Her fiery locks are pulled back into a messy and loose braid. The strands falling out are curled and frame her face rather nicely. Her already gorgeous eyes are brought out by a bit of makeup, some eyeshadow and mascara to truly make them impossible to not get caught up in.

Seeing Ivy in a dress always takes my breath away for some reason, and this time is no different. The dress is an emerald green color. It has a high cut neck with no sleeves and hits the ground as she walks. And yet the designs on the dress are what put me in a trance. The dress has a type of lace overlay that displays plants and vines which begins around her waist rather concentrated and disperses as it travels down to the bottom hem of her dress. It's absolutely beautiful and she is absolutely beautiful in it.

And then it hits me. She's the Poison Ivy to my Harley Quinn.

"Aspen. Coat," Ivy says, snapping me out of my thoughts. I clear my throat before giving her a nervous smile and taking my coat off for coat check.

"Could've been us," I whisper jokingly to Ivy as I nod my head towards the girl who is working the coat check this year.

"I think I prefer this more," Ivy whispers back and I nod in agreement. I'm happy to be here with her and excited to spend the night with her.

We didn't talk much on the car ride here after we gave each other our compliments. We instead sat in a comfortable silence as the radio quietly played whatever today's pop hits happened to be. I wasn't listening though as I was too caught up in my thoughts. And maybe Ivy was too.

We were both nervous, I could tell. She kept tapping her fingers on the wheel but never to the song that was on. And every time we stopped at a light, I could tell that she would zone out completely for a minute. I not only didn't know what she was nervous about, but I also made no attempt to snap her out of it, maybe because I didn't know why she was full of nerves or maybe because I felt the exact same way or what I would assume to be close.

"Your seat, my lady," Ivy says cheekily as she pulls out my seat at which I've been assigned and then promptly sits down in the one beside me.

"Well, you two ladies look ravishing this evening," the boy sitting across from us at the rounded table suddenly says. He has a deep voice and a dark and constant gaze. If I had to guess he probably plays football, given his apparent build. He's actually a rather handsome boy, most likely right around our age and perhaps if I liked men then I would be interested. He has dark hair with just enough gel to hold it into perfection. His suit is well fitted and nice enough to display he comes from money without emphasizing it too much. He's basically the type of boy Tori was implying that I should go for.

"My name is Connery Orsen. And you two lovely ladies are....?" the boy takes it upon himself to begin introductions.

"Ivy Charleston. And this is my best friend Aspen Grayson," Ivy introduces us, probably realizing that I'm not always the best in social situations or meeting new people. So the combination of the two....

"Beautiful names for beautiful girls. Now, for what reasons are you here. Personally, my father runs a rather well known law firm, Orsen Law Firm. He's actually a sponsor of this event tonight," Connery enlightens us.

"Oh. I-" Ivy begins to explain how we obtained our tickets inside, but is interrupted by the screeching of a chair sliding on the floor, accompanied by the vision of a girl with short mousy brown hair cringing at said sound.