Chapter Thirty Nine

"Would he say that he's in L-O-V-E, 'cause if it was me then I...." my singing trails off as I hear a knock on the window of the passenger door of my car. The school parking lot is rather empty this early in the morning, so the knock startles me a little at first.

A smile slips onto my face as soon as I see Margot standing there, glaring pointedly at me as she stands out in the cold.

I guess One Direction can wait.

Distracted as I take in her appearance and how beautifully hundreds of snowflakes rest on her hair, it takes me a moment to actually turn the music down slightly and unlock the car to let her in.

"Oops?" I offer as she slips into the passenger seat with an eye roll.

"Oops? You couldn't have moved any faster?" Margot asks as she begins to brush any excess snow off of herself.

"I could've, but I was too busy staring at you," I admit boldly as a blush rises to my cheeks.

"Yeah? Maybe do that when I'm in the car next time?"

"Noted...." I trail off as I stare out the front window at the rather empty parking lot. Is she mad at me? Did I seriously already mess this up? I mean, I did make her wait out in the cold, even if it was accidental. I would probably be peeved too. Does she like me less now?

"Hey, I'm sorry for snapping. Vivian was a pain in the ass all morning, throwing a tantrum about not being able to find a fucking tiara to match her dress. I shouldn't have...." Margot trails off, but I know exactly what she means. She shouldn't have snapped at me in the first place.

I nod slowly, not trusting myself to know exactly what to say.

"So.... how are you doing?" Margot offers hesitantly.

"Is that a coded way of wanting to ask how my face is doing without feeling guilty about smacking it with a door?" I ask her with a small smile.

"I swear that was an accident,"

And just like that, we've fallen back into our usual rhythm.

"I should hope so," I tell her as I raise my eyebrows.

Margot just sighs as she shakes her head at me, though a small smile is threatening to spill onto her face.

"Because it's otherwise genuinely abusive or kinky. I don't think there's an in between. Or.... that's where accidental lies," I inform her as words fall out of my mouth without much second thought. Yet Margot just smiles at me anyways, despite being clearly confused by my assessment.

"I'm not sure I'll ever understand your brain," she tells me.

"Yeah, I'm sure other geniuses get that a lot," I say with a shrug.

"I think you mean other idiots,"

"I think you might be single if you keep that up," I quip back.

"Are you going to continue trying to keep me in line with veiled threats of breaking up with me?" Margot asks with a small laugh.

"It's worked so far," I respond with a shrug.

"And the day that it doesn't?" Margot tests me.

"Your loss," I say nonchalantly as I don't even turn to look at her, but instead turn my attention out the front window as an underclassman attempts to park properly with the small amount of snow on the ground and barely manages.

"My loss indeed," Margot says under her breath, causing for me to smile and glance quickly over at her. Her hair is flattened slightly from the snow melting on it, but she still manages to pull it off somehow. Her school uniform is messily pulled on. Her plaid skirt is wrinkled and worn in, ending just above her knees. A grey hoodie covers her Oxford top, that is, if she decided to follow the dress code and actually wear one today.