Chapter One

"I swear to God, Aspen. If you try to jump into that pool from there then you're going to end up missing the target and land on the cement, dead with a cracked open skull," my best friend Ivy tries to reason with me. She's beautiful no matter how far away I look at her? How is that fair?

"But it was a dare," I whine as I slightly slur my speech. I glance down at the blue liquid below me and laugh slightly as it begins to become increasingly blurred.

"I'm gonna do it!" I yell loudly to no one in particular, which results in me earning a few cheers in support of my daring feats.

"Aspen, don't you dare," I hear Ivy say in a rather firm tone from below me. Turning my head, I look down at her. I don't get why people always say that when they're up high the people below them look like ants. I'm standing on the roof of I-don't-remember-who's house, and Ivy honestly looks like the size of a reasonable grasshopper. A really pretty grasshopper. Stop it, Aspen.

"Don't worry, grasshopper. I can do it," I say confidently, trying not to slur my words too much because that would just ruin the effect.
I giggle slightly at the nickname I came up with for my friend. Looking back down at the pool below me, I take a few steps back to prepare for my jump. With that, I take a deep breath and begin running.

For what seems like forever, I'm just suspended in the air. It feels like I'm flying, like nothing is really holding me back and nothing ever will. I live for these moments.

However, moments like this always have to come to an end too fast and I'm soon crashing down into the freezing pool. Kicking off of the bottom, I resurface to come face to face with an Ivy that looks reasonably more ticked off than when I last saw her. Her dark brown eyes narrow in on me, and for a minute, the alcohol loses its effect as I realize how I'm completely and utterly screwed.

"I can't believe you did that," Ivy says loudly as she grabs my hand and pulls me out of the water. I vaguely hear people cheering around me, and I try to flash a smile to them in response.

"I know right!" I say excitedly as I jump up and down slightly. It was pretty cool, and obviously I'm not the only one who thinks so.

"No, like you could have really gotten hurt,"

"But I didn't," I say, rolling my eyes as I chuckle at her over protectiveness. Didn't she see me? I was obviously completely fine. I don't get why she always has to act like this and ruin all of my fun.

"That was so cool!" my friend Tori exclaims as she runs up to me and gives me a high five. I nod along with her as I nearly trip over my own feet. What are those doing there? It's so weird that people trip over their own feet. Like, you would think that you'd remember where you last put them and would try to stay out of the way. Luckily, I don't actually trip as I use Tori's hand to help me regain my balance.

"That was not cool," Ivy says, shooting Tori a glare before turning back to look at me.

"Right now, I don't care how drunk you are. I don't care if that was a dare. I don't care if you had all the confidence in the world that you would be able to land in that pool. Don't try to give me any kind of an excuse on how you're used to it and you fly in cheer every day. Even in your drunken state, I'm sure you can realize that's something completely different. You have people to catch you and make sure that nothing really goes wrong. One misstep and I could've lost my best friend. One miscalculation from your little drunken self and I'd never see you again. You never stop and think. Ever,"

Ivy's face morphs into an expression of what seems to be almost fear and worry, and in my drunken state I can't help but to frown. I don't ever want to make her sad. She's my Ivy.