Chapter Thirty

"Aspen!" my name resounds throughout the unfamiliar house as a voice screams it at a rather high pitch. Tori.

"And you brought Marge!" Tori says excitedly as she walks over to me, clearly already wasted.

"It's Margot actually," Margot corrects my friend. Tori waves a hand at her in dismissal.

"I know that. Twas a nickname," Tori slurs as she begins to lean against me for support.

"What's up with her?" Margot whispers to me as Tori drones on about what I assume to be nonsense under her breath.

"Naomi's not here and she is, therefore, wasted," I explain as I walk Tori over to the couch and push her off of me so that she can sit down on it.

"Are you going to be watching her all night then?" Margot asks me, clearly slightly annoyed by the situation.

"I don't want my friend to get alcohol poisoning or some shit, Margot," I say rather pointedly. Margot groans and shakes her head.

"I know. I just...."

"You just what?" I demand.

"I just kind of wanted to hang out with you,"

I soften at Margot's words and let out a sigh. My heart warms slightly and there's an odd fluttering feeling in my chest. Glancing over at Tori, I notice how she's slumped over against me, a sudden crash from the alcohol clearly occurring. When I look back up, a smile overtakes my face.

"Well then you might just be in luck today," I tell Margot as Keegan pushes through a small crowd to stop in front of us.

"You got her?" I question him.

"Of course," he responds with a reassuring smile. Letting out a sigh of relief, I allow Margot to pull me away from the couch and onto the dance floor. It's a strange feeling, dancing on it sober, but I try to embrace it. I try to focus on the girl dancing in front of me who with each moment seems to relinquish cares and just let herself move. It brings a smile to my face and I try to dance like her. No cares.

But then a thought pops into my brain, banishing my smile and giving me a care. If Keegan is here, Jaxon probably is too. Meaning....

My breath gets caught in my throat once I spot Jaxon standing next to the one person I was hoping he wasn't going to be with: Ivy.

She's leaning on him, her head resting on his shoulder. It's an oddly domestic sight to see and I absolutely hate it. It makes my stomach churn and freezes me in my spot. I can vaguely hear Margot's voice asking me what's wrong. But it's clouded by sadness over the situation. Why isn't it me over there with her?

"I, uh, I gotta use the bathroom. Wait here for me?"

Margot nods at my words and I have to force any tears away as I rush to the kitchen and begin to fill my cup with the strongest alcohol I can find.

As soon as I down the drink, a mixture of guilt and relief floods through me. Guilt because I know I won't be able to stand Margot's disappointment when she finds me. Relief because this is sadly enough just what I need right now.

As I fill my cup yet again, I hear someone clear their throat behind me. As I turn around to see who it is, I'm immediately pulled into a hug.

Once she pulls away, I have to hold back tears once I recognize the happiness in her eyes.

"Hey, bird. Long time no see," Ivy jokes. The nickname that used to consistently bring a smile to my face now sends a sharp pain to my heart. It mocks me for ever thinking it was special.