Chapter Seven

I let out a loud groan as I roll over in my bed. My head pounds as I lift it slightly to take a glance at the alarm on my nightstand. 9:30am.
Shit. I have work in thirty minutes. As I spring out of my bed, I suddenly can't help but regret drinking last night. I avoided the party to stay away from alcohol, and yet it still somehow found its way into my system.

Yanking on the closest decently coordinated outfit that I can find, I quickly glance in the mirror and run my fingers through my hair before darting out of my room.

As I glance into the living room, I notice that my dad is already gone and probably has been for a while. Letting out a sigh, I double check that I have everything before I leave the house and begin the drive to work.

"There's the old hooligan! This whippersnapper over here has been covering for you for ten minutes already. Wait. Eleven now," George says cheerily as I walk through the entrance of the bookshop. Jax just stands behind the counter, looking rather bored at the situation that plays out practically weekly.

"Sorry, George, Jax. I woke up late. Also, why must you insist on talking like that? Are you trying to sound even older than you already are or something?"

George just lets out a laugh before playfully ruffling my hair.

"Oh. I usually just do it to embarrass my daughter. It just carried over I suppose. But seriously, missy, you need to stop making poor Jax cover for you like this,"

As George frowns at me in disapproval, the wrinkles around his mouth are emphasized. Without the naturally cheery look in his eyes, they just look tired. And if to match the standards the look on his face set, his graying hair falls against his forehead in an almost tired manner.

"How is your daughter doing, George?" I ask him, knowing that if I get onto the topic of his child, I'll be completely let off the hook. Glancing over at Jax, I immediately notice his glare as he realizes what I'm up to.

"Oh, Brenna is just doing great. She did another one of her pageants a week or so ago and got some kind of supreme something or other. Both she and my wife were very happy about it, so that of course made me happy, though I wasn't sure what it meant. I know they both try to explain it to me every time, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Brenna could win a participation ribbon and she would still be the best one there in my eyes," he rambles.

"Wow. That's amazing. Was there some kind of weird theme at the pageant this time?"

"You know what? I think it had something to do with animals? I'm not entirely sure, but I know that Brenna absolutely shined on that stage,"

"Wow. I-"

I begin to speak however, the sound of the doors to the bookshop opening cut me off, then quickly followed by another voice.

"Good morning, dearies,"

"Good morning, Marian. Do you need help with any of your bags?" I say sweetly to my boss. Marian sends a small smile my way before shaking her head. Her snow white hair is as perfectly styled as ever and though the wrinkles on her skin and her stance tell a different story, her eyes have a sparkle of youth to them still.

"No. That is quite alright, Aspen. These bags aren't awfully heavy. I'm an old woman. I must cling to any youthful experience I can get, even if it is only being able to lift something on my own," Marian replies as she continues on her way, barely sparing us another glance until she very suddenly spins around to look at us.

"Get back to work. And make sure those lovebirds stay on track, George," Marian says before spinning back around and continuing her way. George just chuckles as he walks away to get back to restocking books.