❀ . . . one

PART ONE
MY OPPORTUNITY

another day was spent wandering around the halls

another day was spent wandering around the halls. you, now the 23 year old, had just received a new outfit as you were growing out of your old one. the new outfit was custom made, designed by yourself. hiruzen figured it was a nice gesture even though it didn't even come close to making up for what he puts you through.

a white sleeveless shirt with black detailing and a matching skirt. black fishnet socks went up to your knees along underneath black and white boots. you even received a white haori with black sleeves for if it became too cold. the outfit was inspired by what little you could remember your mother wearing.

this particular day was different. it took you years to come up with this plan but it was finally complete, and foolproof. tonight, at around midnight, you would sneak through the window of your room. no one kept watch of your room since no one knew you existed. hiruzen would always be asleep at this time so he wouldn't check on you. your room was on the ground floor so you could slip back through your window before dawn arrived.

as the clock in your room struck midnight, you rose from your bed. underneath her bed were extra pillows from throughout the years. you shoved the pillows underneath your blankets to make a shape similar to your body. it wasn't perfect, actually it was nowhere near perfect up close, but enough to trick anyone's first glance.

the window slid open and you threw a leg out. her foot dangled over the ledge a little bit before you could hoist the rest of your body up. your feet hit the ground with a quiet thud.

this was it, the outside world. you were free even if just for a few hours.

you knew there were ninja patrolling the village but it didn't matter since they didn't even know what you looked like. besides, it not like they would stop you if they noticed you. for all they know you're just another resident of the village they probably never really noticed was around.

you stared at the night sky for the first time outside of her room in years. the sight was breathtaking in your eyes. the moon and stars were like a painting, so still and beautiful. the surrounding buildings were overwhelming. although it was late at night, many people were still active in this part of the village.

time seemed to stop as you admired your new surroundings. the fresh air outside was so foreign to her. you followed the dirt street to the part of the village that wasn't so full of life. you passed a ramen shop hoping you would be able to visit one day. you remembered the dango shop, in fact she had tried some of their dango. it was a gift for your 15th birthday, ramen, however, remained untried.

you found a spot towards the forest of the village where you rested for a moment. it was the first time you had seen so many trees in years. the wind of the cold night froze your legs so you covered what you could with your loose haori. you sighed and threw your head back against the bench to see the sky again.

"i haven't seen you around here before," an unfamiliar voice commented. he peered over you, blocking the sky. you had been so focused on the stars you hadn't heard the footsteps.

"i don't come out much," you replied. the words came out like it a rehearsed line in a play but in reality is was your genuine response. it wasn't a lie since this was your first time out of the house in over a decade. the masked man stepped around the bench, then took a seat next to you.

he looked up at the sky just as you were. "i see. my name is kakashi hatake, may i ask yours?" he extended his hand for you to shake. you nervously sat up to make contact with his hand.

"you're kakashi hatake...from the stories hiruzen told me? you're real?" you muttered the last part.

his uncovered eye squinted. "i didn't know you've heard of me," he chuckled.

"oh, my name is y/n."

"well y/n, how come you don't come out much?" he asked. he propped his head on his elbow to see her face better. you folded your hands on your lap, "well..."

"i just never really wanted to," you told such an obvious lie. kakashi still decided not to press or question anything more. he stood up with his icha icha book seemingly appearing out of nowhere when really it was in his gloved hand the entire time.

"well then, hopefully we'll see each other around," he concluded. he walked away, disappearing from your sight. the encounter left you surprised, you didn't expect someone to give you any attention. you were playing the role of just the average konoha resident.

then it registered. you had just met kakashi hatake. the ninja from the stories.

he was someone you admired after hearing all his accomplishments. and he was just in front of her, asking for your name. the stories made him seem like a legend to you, that's why didn't even know if he was real. he looked so young as well. from the stories, you imagined he had imagined he had age already, but he looked around your age. the mask and headband and threw you off too. he stood out quite a bit in a crowd, with spiky white hair and he looked very tall.

you waited a few minutes before running off into the village again.

a/n: