29

Roses are redViolets are tooAtlas can't tell who's lying And he hates the smell of shampoo

Roses are red
Violets are too
Atlas can't tell who's lying
And he hates the smell of shampoo

"One more moment, Adam!" He shouted out as he shut his window, "Damn..." With the speed of light Atlas threw a pillow and his thick blanket over the money and the rest of the evidence. He hid any loose things, especially things that held the Sterling Property Advisors's logo. Adam was a very nosy person—he liked to touch everything and ask about the little nick knacks in Atlas's room—and with the recent information that Dani told him, he didn't know how Adam would react to seeing the contact paper.

He didn't know if he could trust him.

Atlas organized the rest of the pillows and swept most of Dani's dead hair and bobby pins under his bed frame. With minimum effort, he composed himself in the mirror, then took a deep breath and reached for the door, "I—um, sorry about that. I was in the middle of something." He faked a smile and stepped aside for the sober boy to walk in.

Adam took one look around the half-heartedly made up room and smirked. "Oh, I see?" He placed his hands in his pocket and stopped by the carpet. The boy stood tall for the first time in weeks since his brother died. He held a look of confidence one might have after presenting an amazing speech in front of a crowd of 13 people. The kind of confidence that was new to Adam—the kind of confidence Atlas wished he had. The withdrawal from his alcohol addiction was at least doing something for him. "Did it take you that long to logout? Plus, do you really do it at full volume? I could have sworn I heard a girl in here?" He laughed as he pointed to the desk with the blanket.

Atlas blushed from the door frame as that assumption slightly surprised him, "Oh no! I- I umm, it's not what it looks like." He walked in, not bothering to shut the door as the room needed airing out. The smell of smoke was thick, and Adam didn't seem to mind or notice it. He didn't question Atlas's wacky appearance either. He just sat down on the desk chair and leaned forward. "Oh, sure." He winked as he rolled around, "I'll just pretend that it never happened, Atlas. Your secret is safe with me."

With a nod, Atlas went with the flow, sat down on his empty bed and stared at his empty wall. "You kind of came unexpectedly... I honestly have nothing for us to do today."

"Yeah. Sorry about that." Adam laughed sheepishly, "I figured that since my dad was taking your mom out today, I could stop by here too and hang out. He dropped me off so I can't leave until he comes back." He looked up, "That could be hours, so I guess we could just chill. Or Talk? Wait, do you have an Xbox?"

"No... I'm not into games." Atlas admitted as he stopped his knees from moving up and down.

Adam sighed as he played around with his fingers, "Oh, that's a bummer." He cringed, "We could maybe just talk then or head out someplace? Your call?" He suggested, being obviously interested in hanging out with him.

"We could chat first... catch up?" Atlas spoke. Maybe this was an opportunity to ask questions or get something out of him, "How was the rest of your shift at the Dessert Deck?"