10

Roses are redThese violets are for you, dearThe life choices you make bringA great deal of paranoia and fear

Roses are red
These violets are for you, dear
The life choices you make bring
A great deal of paranoia and fear

When Dani waltzed into his room that morning , she didn't know what she was expecting. All she knew was that whatever he had up his sleeves would be trouble.

But this?

This was far from trouble.

This was outright cruel.

This was conspiring to commit murder.

She didn't know why she sat there; she didn't know why she absorbed the information. Any normal person would pick up their things and run out of the room screaming.

But like he said, she wasn't normal.

Wasn't normal, my ass. Dani didn't understand her intentions, and she didn't understand his either.

"You lost me at financial troubles." She blinked as she sat in the corner. She still felt uneasy around Atlas, and she could tell he was uneasy too. He was fidgeting with everything on him, including the strings of his black hoodie and his belt loops. The entire time he told his irrational story, he kept glancing out his window as if he was being watched. Maybe he was and everything he was telling her was true, or maybe he wasn't and this was all just a demented joke?

Atlas let out a tremendous sigh and held his fist together after her confused statement. "I'm not clear on the story either, but I'll tell you it again." His hands shook as he tried to sit up straight. This may be taking a larger toll on him than she thought. The poor boy had beads of sweat pouring down his face. Was he serious?

Dani nervously laughed to break the tension, "um, yeah..." She slowly stood up and crossed the room, "start with that strange contract thing." She turned on her toes, "I think I got the part with your dad's arrest already." She took a deep breath as she spoke, "he killed 3 strangers because he had to. Something with financial gain?"

"Yeah, I--" he rubbed the back of his neck as he watched Dani pace around the room. "He signed this weird contract with a strange guy for some unknown reason."

"Unknown?" she confirmed, "no one is completely unowned."

He nodded then continued, "I never put much effort into digging into it, but I could tell with his sources that his identity would be hard to crack."

True, a strange man telling someone to kill a list of people wouldn't want his name or face out there.

"He threatened me and told me if I don't finish what my dad started I'll face the consequences," he stopped moving around in his chair, "I don't even know what the consequences are but I fear for the worst." He gulped down some air, "This contract has me killing people, and your dead friend Charlotte was the first one... so I did it... And now there's 5 more."