37

Roses are redViolets are blue Killing is not that easyEspecially if it's you

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Killing is not that easy
Especially if it's you...

Mr. Wood's funeral was short and sweet. Both didn't have any words to send him off as he wasn't the greatest person in the world.

He taught Atlas Biology twice, and those were the worst classes he had ever experienced.

He taught Dani a boatload of other subjects, and she had the same feelings.

Both didn't have last words as they were too focused on other things... the ex-teachers clothes and the kiss they shared in the car.

With the pile of the synthetic materials by the wooden bench, Atlas stared down at the fire pit. The pit looked like it hadn't been used in months, but the two made the best of the area and situation. His bruised left hand subconsciously touched his lips over and over again as he pondered everything he just did.

His lips weren't as swollen as they were yesterday, but the ghost feeling of her lips overwhelmed his senses.

Dani let him kiss her... she actually let him kiss her. Even though she was upset, defeated, and crying over something she did years ago, she still let him kiss her... and it was wonderful.

Her lips felt nothing like Hailey's harsh ones; they were soft like clouds but were cold like ice cream. They were everything he thought they would be.

The sound of her feet walked up to him and made him turn off his thoughts for a moment. Her hair stuck up every which way. Most parts were uneven as the incident at the Dessert Deck did more than burn some parts. It was also covered in dirt, along with the rest of her in his sweater. She insisted she helped him bury the teacher and Atlas felt like he couldn't refuse. It wasn't an ideal first date for the two of them, digging a hole and constantly looking over their shoulders, but it wasn't bad either... just odd.

"—Matches?" Atlas only caught the last words of her question.

"I'm sorry, but what did you say?"

Dani sighed and held out her hands, asking it again. "We need to get this over with. Where are the matches?"

"Oh!" He jumped a bit as he scrambled into his jeans pockets and pulled out a tiny box of matches. He only had a few left but with the driest wood and twigs they could find, and with the help of some extra gasoline he kept in his car because the only gas station was in the middle of nowhere, there would be a fire in no time.

The small box fit perfectly in her sacking hand as she knelt down and stuck one with ease. For a moment the match burned as she froze right before the log, but then she let out a tremendous sigh and dropped it in. Slowly, the twigs and dry grass crisped up. Soon there was a tiny fire, dim and orange and enough to light up the area. Once Atlas splashed some gasoline, that's when things sparked up, sending the two back before the reds and yellows danced around in the pit. Any type of fire now gave Atlas PTSD. The heat and the colour would send his mind traveling down the same rabbit hole he experienced a few days ago. His eyes would play tricks, and he would always see the faint silhouette of Dani in the flames. But he knew she was right there beside him, not within the flames.