24

Roses are red,Her heart is dead

Roses are red,
Her heart is dead.
Every little thing annoys her,
Especially when she is being misled.

Nora led the two teens to a booth table by the large window, near the back. "I'll give you two some time to settle in. A server will be with you soon." She smiled and walked back to the desk at the front.

"Are you ok?" Atlas asked once more as soon as he settled down, "Since this morning you've been really out of it?"

Dani ignored him and picked up the menu. All-day she was like this because Michigan moved on. They spent years together and even after their break up Dani thought there was a small chance they'll get back together. But no. He wiped her from his mind and had his beautiful eyes set on some else.

Why did she deny her feelings? Why did she say no when he asked if there was nothing going on between them? Why?

Atlas snapped his fingers in her face to grab her attention again,"Dani?"

She gazed up from the large over-exaggerated pictures of burgers to meet his eyes. Before she knew it, she let out an enormous sigh and shut them. His entire plan just passed over her clouded head. All she could think about was Michigan and their time together. Even her terrible memories of killing people wouldn't overtake him from her mind. What was wrong with her? She was supposed to be helping Atlas with the contract, not moping over something she caused.

Hesitantly, she glanced around the familiar place to avoid meeting his eyes again. The Diner used to be her second home, but now it felt like more of a tourist trap than ever. People walked in and out taking photos like zombies and bright signs and colours attacked her eyes.

Stopping her eyes from wandering, her fingers gently rubbed around the table as her toes curled. This was the same table Atlas sat at when he was here a few weeks ago. She remembered this because this table was one of the many she hated to manage when she was working here. She wondered who was managing it now?  "I thought we were here to ask the staff questions and look around the area?" Dani slowly spoke as her eyes focused on the window.

"Whoa?" Atlas leaned forward and pressed his hands to her face, "Are you doing all right? We can we do this another day? We only have to be here right now to confirm that Ashly is in today?"

"Uh-huh," She nodded her head and picked up the menu once again, "We're just here to confirm..." She let her voice trailed off. She wanted to take up Atlas's offer of doing this another day, but she was already here—there was no use in leaving.

"Hey, welcome to Darren's Dessert Deck! What can I get for you two today?" A server approached the table.

Dani looked away from the menu and came face to face with Adam.

He looked happy— no he was happy? Happy enough to make Dani's stomach turn. He stood tall with his red and black waiter uniform which held dark stains. The uniform was identical to the one Dani used to wear but Adam seemed to rock it more. His silky back hair was gelled back as his slightly yellowed skin had specks of white from flour. He looked like a rich boy out of place... As a matter of fact, he was a rich boy out of place.