40

Roses are redViolets are blueThe truth hurtsAnd everything else does too

Roses are red
Violets are blue
The truth hurts
And everything else does too

"I'm out!" Dani called as she raced down the stairs. It was the next day, and she didn't get an ounce of sleep. She was running on coffee and sheer willpower as she hated how she had to wait... wait... wait... wait.

All night she held back her thoughts of running to Atlas, shoving the letter in his face and slapping him for being so cold and dry.

Instead, she just waited... waited all night to give him space and to allow him to warm back up.

Barging into his bedroom in the middle of the night didn't fully feel right, regardless of the urgency of the case. It's because of the way he acted. After Dani told him the memory she kept locked away in her heart, he turned to stone and locked her away.

He almost acted like they were strangers— strangers who just killed a man together and wanted nothing to do with each other.

Strangers who kissed and cried in one another's arms, but somehow stayed strangers immediately after.

"Ugh Whatever..." she whispered as slipped the confession paper into her bag. The signatures crumbled as she hosted her bag over her tired shoulders and stepped into her muddy shoes. "I'm leaving!" she yelled once more as she adjusted her red collared uniform. The white sweater she would normally slip on was now reduced to bloody ash.

No other colour made her feel crisp and normal as that blueish white sweater.... no other colour made her feel as important as well. The bright red polo top and the beige uniform pants only made her feel dull and drained; it also accentuated her baggy eyes and bruised skin which sent a wave of regret over her shoulders. "I said I'm leaving!" She pulled up her collar more, while subconsciously digging her dirty shoes into the carpet.

Little feet stomped down the stairs sheer moments after her epiphany. His feet were quick and with every step Dani's heart sank further into her chest. Still dressed in his pyjamas, dazed, Benjamin opened his mouth, "So are you going to mail it for me or what?"

Rolling her eyes Dani finished getting ready and ignored her brother as she was sick of the questions.

"Dani! Dani?! Hello?"

"Yes! For the love of god, I said I will!" She snapped. This was the millionth time he asked that question. Benjamin was so concerned over something that didn't involve him.

He was always like this, nosy and just plain old rude. He didn't even know what was going on.

"Right. . . " He sighed waddling back up the stairs. The boy stopped near the top to peer down like a pissed off tyrant whose lead commander just betrayed his country. "The walls in the house are thin Dani. If you're not going to mail it for me, just say so. I don't like it when you lie." Before she could issue another word, he raced away slamming his bedroom door shut.