14

Rose are redWatch these violets bloomIf you speck out of placeYou'll come to the same impending doom

Rose are red
Watch these violets bloom
If you speck out of place
You'll come to the same impending doom

Dani's first interaction with Chris was a weird one. Two years ago she was hanging out with Michigan, Charlotte, and Gary, at Adam's place. It was late at night and they were in the middle of a long Mario Kart tournament that didn't seem like it would end. The atmosphere soon changed when Adam's older brother Christopher stumbled in. He swayed around, punched the monster-sized tv, and made a petty comment about how hot Charlotte was. Dani felt disgusted, but a day later she found out he was just drunk.

After that day, she was hesitant around him. Whenever she was over at Adam's place she would avoid him. However, he would follow her and apologize repeatedly. It wasn't until their friend group fell apart after Gary's death that she never saw him again.

Now Chris was here, and this was not an appropriate situation for a reunion. Dani wanted to throw up for several reasons. Reason number one, this was far from right, Mrs. Herbert was a dinosaur compared to Chris. Reason number two, Dani vaguely remembered Atlas talking about two targets: Betty Herbert and Christopher Anderson. If her mind wasn't about to explode when she heard Mrs. Herbert's name, she would have remembered that she also knew the second target.

Atlas used his sleeve to wipe up whatever mess he made with his drink. With his large brown eyes, he looked just as panicked as Dani, "Damn.." was all he whispered. Both of them did not expect any of this to happen.

The two adults continued to make out.

Atlas coughed to get their attention.

The two broke apart.

Mrs. Herbert blushed while Chris laughed, "I guess they can stay," Chris picked up his beer can. "One of you can join me upstairs if you want to help." He threw the can into the bin in the corner and marched up the stairs.

Mrs. Herbert adjusted her dress and rubbed her flushed cheeks, "That's a great idea, Chris!" She called after him. "Atlas, you can help me down here while Daniella can help Chris upstairs. I'm sure you two would want to catch up before he leaves town."

There was no way Dani was going upstairs alone to help Chris. She snapped out of her worried state and spoke up, "Mrs. Herbert, I would much rather—"

"No buts!" She snapped, "When you're done, let me know." The old lady flipped her hair and rounded the corner.

"I'm leaving!" Dani stood up as soon as the sound of Mrs. Herbert's heels disappeared, "I can't do this, I just can't." She looked around the empty house, Mrs. Herbert was an old lady living her life. Ending it wasn't right, even if Atlas had to. Then there was Chris. She couldn't let Atlas kill him, it would devastate Adam.

Atlas looked down at his glass, "What a coincidence," he sighed, completely ignoring Dani's fit.

Dani gazed over her shoulder and shook her head, "What do you mean, a coincidence? How is this a coincidence?"