UnBoxing

The night before the second task, Hazel was lounging in the Hufflepuff common room watching Drop Dead Gorgeous on the magical screens. Her roommates, Tamika and Rosemary, were cuddling with their respective boyfriends and Hazel couldn't help but feel like she was missing out. Even with the thick fluffy blanket wrapped snuggly around her, she felt cold and lonely. 

Good God this is depressing.

The movie was good, in fact, Hazel reckoned it was probably one of her favourite muggle movies so far, but with Valentines day so close around the corner and seemingly everyone she knew in a relationship, Hazel couldn't escape her bitterness. Once more she thought about Angelo and what could have been - what should have been. 

She quietly slipped off the sofa and sneaked up to her dorm when the credits rolled, choosing to forsake the after-movie-hot-chocolate. In her room, she fumbled around under her bed until she located the box she was looking for. It was covered in cobwebs and strands of her own hair but the beaded exterior looked just as it had the day she received it. Gently opening it, as if she was scared a genie would pop out, Hazel then placed the box on the trunk at the end of her bed and slipped its contents onto her duvet. A single glorious dagger plopped soundlessly onto her covers, where it sat gleaming dangerously for a few moments while Hazel tried to control her overwhelming curiosity.

A deranged and dramatic thought of killing herself crossed her mind, not because she felt particularly suicidal, but rather because she thought the dagger was too pretty not to be used, and she could think of no other way of using such a knife. It truly was an entirely odd gift. Extravagant, unnecessary, unwanted, but still she could not bring herself to be rid of it. So she had hidden it away and "forgotten" to tell anyone of its existence. 

She liked how the images on its sheath told a story

She liked how the images on its sheath told a story. She wondered what made Angelo choose this particular dagger, and what made him think it was an appropriate gift to give her. Carefully, she unsheathed the blade and was awed by its sharp tip. She stupidly touched her forefinger lightly against the edge and immediately started bleeding. In the lamplight she tried her best to find her emergency first aid kit, but it was lost somewhere in the mess of her bedside table. The cut wasn't too bad, but she didn't pay much attention to things when she hastily threw the dagger back into it's box and scurried off to the bathroom.

While she was patching things up by the sink, she heard a knock on her door and yelled for whoever it was to come in. She reentered her dorm to find Hermione Granger looming over her bed, and before Hazel could warn her of the blade's sharpness, the Gryffindor had already reached into the box and pulled something out. A small note had been tucked into the corner of the knife box and had not been noticed in the lamplight of the room by the short sighted Hazel. 

"Oh, hello Hermione! What're you doing here? I thought you were helping Harry get ready for the second task?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes, hello Hazel, yes, I was um...er, where did you get this?" asked Hermione, who, having read the note, was looking weirdly down on the dagger.

Hazel thought about lying, but the truth just seemed so much easier. 

"Oh, that. Angelo gave it to me."

"What!? When?" 

"I dunno, sometime after New Year's. The day he left actually. Why?"

"It's just that, well, see here," said Hermione, indicating to an inscription on the underside of the blade.

"Oh wow," said Hazel, "I didn't even realize that there was anything-"

"Yes, well, this inscription, these words, veritas omnia vincit, that's latin for the truth conquers all," interrupted Hermione.

"...OK" said Hazel, not sure if she was missing something.

"Don't you see what this means??" cried Hermione, waving the note up in the air.

"Wait, where did you get that?" said Hazel.

"Oh, I found it in the box," said Hermione, not sure if she had breached Hazel's privacy or something. Whoops, Hermione thought to herself. Gotta stop snooping in other people's stuff.

"Really? I didn't even know there was a note in the box...Well, what does it say? Don't just leave me hanging here!"

"Oh, right! Um, let's see," said Hermione as she straightened out the crumpled note. "Ok, so... uh, it says, basically, that by using this knife, you can verify people's true appearances by checking their reflection in the blade - yadda yadda yadda - but only on the side with the inscription! On the other side, the reflection you see is their weakest form... Huh, that's interesting."

"What is?" said Hazel, trying to get a peak at the note. 

"Well, the guy who made this blade..."

"Yeah?"

"...He's supposed to be dead..."

"Dead? Hermione, what do you mean-- wait, no, I guess that wouldn't be entirely illogical, I  mean, people die all the time -- wait, how do you know he's supposed to be dead? Is he famous or something??"

"You could say that..." said Hermione softly as she studied the note further. "Hazel, this dagger is allegedly made by Chiron"

"Who?"

Hermione simply said nothing, but passed Hazel the note. Sure enough, attached at the back, was a certificate stating that Chiron, trainer of the ancient Greek demigods, had made this blade. And what's more, this information was certified by the goons at Gringotts Bank. They surely wouldn't certify a lie. 

"This is crazy. This can't be real," muttered Hazel to herself.

Hermione carefully picked up the dagger from its box and angled it to reflect Hazel's face. 

"Well, what do you see?" asked Hazel quietly.

"I see a very beautiful young witch," answered Hermione with a smile. Switching it to the other side, the side without the writing, Hermione frowned.

"What is it?"

"Nothing" said the Gryffindor too quickly, and the blade was placed back into its box.

Before Hazel could demand a real answer, their dorm room door flung open. It was Julia, a seventh year prefect, telling them to go to bed. Julia must have been particularly sleep deprived, because she failed to notice that not only were two of the rooms occupants missing, but one of the girls standing right in front of her wasn't even a Hufflepuff. 

Once the coast was clear, Hermione flung Harry's invisibility cloak over herself and bid Hazel goodnight, but not before making her promise to bring the dagger with her to breakfast tomorrow so that they might look over it properly in the library before the second task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament.