Valentines Day Surprise

It was Valentines Day and all Hazel could think about was finishing her History of Magic essay before third period. 

While everyone was revelling in the joys of Valentines Breakfast (heart shaped pancakes, blood red syrup, and an assortment of breakfast cakes and treats) Hazel was frantically scribbling out the final paragraphs to her essay, Bubbles and Broomsticks: The Boiling of Witches in the Late Medieval Period.

Various  love songs could be heard throughout the Great Hall, as this year the student committee  had organized a troupe of singing house elves to deliver Valentines Day messages. Harry had already received quite a few and he had a pile of chocolate boxes stacked up next to him. Ron looked very excited at the prospect of it all. 

Hermione, of course, received a beautiful box of Russian chocolates from Viktor Krum, along with an anonymous love letter that she had hastily stashed in her robes. 

Hazel, too, had received some things. One was a box of chocolates from Harry ("got enough to last me 'till the summer I reckon") and the other was potted Vallerie seedling, sent from an anonymous "admirer". If she wasn't so busy stressing about her essay, she might have had the time to flit between being upset about her lack of suitors and being secretly pleased with one anonymous one. A Vallerie plant was, after all, a very rare and romantic plant. It's supposed to only flower once a year, on Valentines day. The seedling was too young to have made a flower this year, but that was the beauty of it. Whoever sent it to her must have known that she would be more than happy to wait an entire year to see the flower, and Hazel appreciated the cleverness of the gift, because it ensured that the sender wouldn't be quickly forgotten. 

The potted plant had been waiting for her on her bedside table when she had awoken, and she wasted no time in setting up protective charms around it. She didn't want a repeat of third year, when Rosemary's cat had knocked her cactus over and destroyed it. 

On the other side of the Hall, Draco was flourishing under all the attention he was receiving. Months of flirting with half the female population of not only Hogwarts but Beauxbatons and Durmstrang too meant that he had proudly accrued his own unofficial fan club, who took it upon themselves to shower him in gifts, cards, and kisses under the stairwell. At the moment he was enduring his fifth love song, and much to Crabbe and Goyle's glee, he had received yet another gift of assorted chocolates. 

Spotting his favourite Hufflepuff scurrying about the coffee cart, he strolled lazily over to join her, smirking and winking as he passed by his admirers.

"Morning, Potter" he said, leaning casually against the wall, arms folded.

"Oh, hi Draco! Don't have much time, see you later!" she said, stuffing a bagel in her mouth so that she could carry her coffee in one hand and her essay in the other.

She scurried away and Draco, figuring that she had failed to finish her homework on time yet again, followed her out of the Great Hall. 

"Here," he said, reaching for her essay, "Let me carry that"

She was thankful for the help, and removed the bagel from her mouth (but not before biting huge chunk out of it).

"D'you think you could read over it?" she asked through a mouthful of bread and cream cheese.

"Mmmhmm" said Draco, already halfway through the first page.

They passed by some giggling third year Gryffindors, and Draco took only a second to send a flirtatious smirk their way.

"I swear, Draco, you have half the school under a love spell,"

"All in a day's work."

Hazel choked a bit and tried to wash down her breakfast with some coffee. Spilling a few drops down the front of her shirt, she absentmindedly wiped them away as she pulled out her schedule to check which classes she had coming up. They had just started the new term and she hadn't yet memorized her schedule.