Nimbus Two Thousand

————Hazel's POV————

I can't believe it. I really can't. I disappear for ONE DAY and miss out on an entire adventure.

Last night, while I was having an existential crisis in the Forbidden Forest, Harry and Ron were sneaking to the Trophy Room to meet Draco for a duel. Somehow, Hermione and Neville ended up joining them, but Draco never showed, and the four of them almost got caught by Filch. Then, they ended up on the third floor corridor, and found a three-headed dog that Ron says was taller than Hagrid, which is hard to believe, because Hagrid's as tall as a house. 

Ron and Harry were filling me in on all of this the next morning at breakfast, and they seemed quite pleased with their little adventure, even more so when Draco walked into the Great Hall and stared at us in shock.

"Bloody git thought he could get us expelled, eh?" said Ron.

"You could have got expelled. By the sounds of it, you could have died too," I said.

"You sound just like Hermione!" said Ron.

 "She's right you know!"

"Yeah, but she's not talk to us, is she Harry?" said Ron with a grin.

Harry didn't say anything, not wanting to upset me or his best friend, and instead changed the subject.

"Hazel, did you see that Gringotts got broken into?"

"Yeah, why?"

Well," said Harry, leaning closer as no one else could hear, "Ron and I have a theory,"

"Oh yeah!" said Ron, "We think it might have something to do with the third floor corridor."

I leaned over my cereal to hear what Harry whispered next.

"We think that Dumbledore is hiding something on the third floor, and that's why we aren't allowed to go there. Hermione saw a trapdoor beneath the dog, and we reckon that whatever's underneath is what that thief at Gringotts was looking for, that's why they broke in but didn't take anything."

I leaned back with a doubtful face, and said, "I don't know, that sounds a bit far-fetched. Why would Dumbledore hide something in the castle where anybody could find it? Maybe the only reason we aren't allowed on the third floor is because of the Cerberus."

"The what?" said Ron.

"The three-headed dog. It's a Cerberus, they're really rare. I wouldn't be surprised if Dumbledore was hiding it there -  they're usually hunted down in the wild...they're on the verge of extinction. I know Hagrid's wanted one for ages."

"No, no," said Harry before Ron and I could get in another argument, "It was definitely there to protect something, and I know that Dumbledore has the package that the Gringotts' thief was looking for, because when Hagrid took me to the bank during the holidays we stopped by another vault and he took a package that he said was for Dumbledore, and it was the same vault that got broken into."

At this I went quiet and I had to admit, the whole thing was very suspicious. 

"It's either really valuable or really dangerous," said Ron through a mouthful of eggs.

"Or both," added Harry. 

I wanted to ask more questions, but at that moment the owls flooded into the Great Hall and everyone's attention was caught by a long thin package carried by six large screech owls. Harry was just as interested as everyone else to see what was in this large parcel and was amazed when the owls soared down and dropped it right in front of him, knocking his bacon to the floor. They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcel.