First Night: The Feast

Fast forward to the night Harry Potter  arrives for the first time at Hogwarts.

————————

Hazel watched anxiously through her telescope, her foot tapping the floor of the astronomy tower. She was on the look out for the Hogwarts train and had spent the last two hours peering through a dusty old telescope belonging to her father. He had only lent it to her because he knew how nervous she was about meeting her brother for the first time.

Her brother.

A familiar feeling of excitement shot through her, and suddenly she let go of the telescope and started dancing like a manic.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/pa37AAGzKXoek/giphy.gif

Her sudden burst of energy faded after thirty seconds, but she was still grinning widely.
She picked up her telescope that she dropped, and resumed her task of stalking the small town of Hogsmeade from the balcony of the tallest tower in Hogwarts. The day had grown dark, but the town's lights sparkled with excitement and joy. 

Then she heard the familiar whistle of a train, the same train she had heard every year since Snape had taken her into his care. She fumbled with the telescope and almost dropped it over the edge of the balcony. Close, she thought, too close. If I lose this, Dad will Avada Kedavra me.
She watched as the red Hogwarts train pulled into the station, and saw hoards of children piling onto the Hogsmeade platform. They were too far away for her to differentiate between their faces and identify anyone, but she was sure of two things, 

1. The large mass towering over everyone (and the train too), was surely Hagrid, and 

2. If Hagrid's down there, then all those smaller bodies surrounding him must be first years, therefore,

 3. HARRY WAS DOWN THERE!

This thought invoked yet another victory dance, but was shattered by a wave of intrusive thoughts.

What if we're not in the same house?? Will Harry still want to talk to me?? I know he's surely going to be in Gryffindor, Hagrid said he's just like James, but if I'm in Slytherin, maybe he'll think I'm evil and hate me. But if I am in Gryffindor, Dad'll be so upset, and Draco will be too.

You see, in between the time that Hazel had gone to visit Malfoy Manor and the time that we are currently observing, Hazel and Draco had spent many days together. Hazel had originally opposed the notion of interacting with Draco after their first encounter, but she was surprised to discover that he acted very differently when it was just the two of them.

Draco had multiple personalities, and he reserved them for different people. When in front of his parents or Anyone Important, he was charming and polite, and managed to get anything he wanted. In front of people he deemed Generally Unimportant, he barely wasted any of his energy in acting interested, and mostly discarded anything they said.