Chamber of Secrets

"Don't you think you're being a bit paranoid?"

"Absolutely not," said Ron. 

"But—I mean, if some really wanted to haunt you, Ron, don't you think they would do it, regardless if they saw you at Sir Nick's Death Day Party?"

"Hazel, how do you think ghosts find people to haunt? There is only one reason to invite The Living to a party full of dead people! We are the entertainment."

"OK, that's a fair point," conceded Hazel. "But, have you ever considered what might happen to us if we said no?"

Ron's step faltered as they climbed the stairs.

"Well," said Hazel, "I have considered it, and I think you'll be interested to know that I think we are much more likely to be haunted if we don't show up. Think about it, if you were a ghost and you went out of you way to invite four living children to your very special Death Day Party so that you can impress some douchebag, and then the little shits don't even bother to make an appearance?? What would you do?"

Ron gulped, and Hazel answered for him. "Me, personally, I would haunt those little kids until they died and turned into ghosts like me, so that they can feel the pain that I felt when they have their Death Day Party's and no one bothers to show up."

"OK, fine, we'll make an appearance, but just to be polite," said Ron.

———

For once, Hazel wished that Ron didn't give in so easy when she forced him to do something. I can't really put the blame on Ron, though, she thought miserably. Then again, how could I have anticipated THIS?

By 'this' she was referring to a dead Mrs Norris strung up on the wall right next to: 

'THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED

ENEMIES OF THE HEIR...BEWARE'

Which was naturally, written in blood.

And of course, since they were the luckiest four children in the world, they were discovered by the entire school, standing dumbstruck at the scene of the crime. Filch had immediately called for their arrest, but luckily the other teachers had some common sense, and instead of being hung upside down in the dungeons and tortured —like Filch had suggested— they were taken to Professor Dumbledore's office, where they pleaded their innocence.

———

Barely a week had gone by before the first attack happened. 

The student population were still reeling over what had happened to Mrs Norris. Half of them were scared out of their minds and the other half were still trying to accept their misfortune that Mrs Norris wasn't dead. Fred and George were surprisingly distraught about the whole incident."

"She was a good cat," said Fred.

"Always managed to catch us red-handed during our more memorable expeditions," said George.

"Remember when she almost scratched your eye out after you shot that firecracker at her?" said Fred.

"Good times," said George miserably. "Hogwarts wouldn't be the same without her."

"She's not dead," said Ron.

"Luckily," said George.

"Yeah, she must have used one of those nine lives," said Fred.

"I truly thought she already used them all up on us," said George.

Ron left the twins to their mourning and grabbed some cakes for Harry, who was eating his dinner in the infirmary. Madame Pomfrey said it was far too late for Harry to be receiving any visitors, but she did promise Ron that she would give Harry the cakes.