Hufflepuff Happening

Just like every other student that day, Hazel pretended like she didn't have a mound of homework waiting for her in her room, because that was the day of the second task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. 

She decided to sit at the Gryfindor table for the special occasion, and she tried to distract Harry from the taunting and good-luck wishes that were been thrown at him from every angle. Hermione and Ron still hadn't made an appearance at breakfast, and Hazel hoped that they were just snogging in the broom cupboard or something, because Harry was in a foul mood and she didn't feel like taking the brute force of it. Thank god Neville was there. 

Trevor, the toad, was content enough to soak up a bowl of moldy toad water while his owner, Neville Longbottom, instructed Harry on the affects of Gillyweed and, more specifically, the scientific discourse on its freshwater versus saltwater effectiveness. Harry snapped at Neville (poor thing) and Hazel tried to divert their conversation by remarking how terribly lucky they all were that it was a warm day out. The snow had mostly melted away by now, and they were experiencing a hot front too, which was nice. Harry was too busy thinking about how screwed up his life was to pay attention to anything his sister was saying.

As they walked down to the boat jetties Harry started to really get antsy, and Hazel assured him that Hermione and Ron were probably already by the piers, what with them probably having realized how late they were. 

Once on the pier, Hazel and Neville were shuffled to the sidelines by Mad-eye Moody and Hazel wasn't even given a chance to give Harry a good-luck hug before he was shuffled off the pier by Moody. 

"Do they really expect us to just stand here and watch the lake for an hour?" asked Hazel to nobody in particular.

Just at that moment, four giant screens lit up in the air in front of the crowd, and on each screen was one of the champions. That made Hazel feel rather stupid, but before anybody could give her any grief for her comment, Draco materialized next to her with a scowl on his face.

"Bloody first years" she thought she heard him mutter.

"Draco, you're soaked!" cried Hazel.

"How astute you are, my dear" he said, wringing water out of his cap.

"Here, hold still"

With a gentle flick of her wand, Hazel managed to siphon out most of the water from his clothes, but she noticed that he was still shivering like a kicked puppy, so she pulled off her scarf and wrapped it around his head so that just his eyes were free to see. He seemed rather miffed about the whole ordeal and related to her how some first year Ravenclaws had been screwing around on the boat to the pier, and in their jubilant state, they had tipped the boat, resulting in him "almost bloody drowning". 

Hazel wrapped her arms around the poor boy in an attempt to get some warmth in him, but with her head buried in his chest she was in no position to notice that his cheeks had warmed up rather nicely to a pretty pink colour. Draco wrapped his arms around her and positioned himself so that she could turn her head sideways and still see the big screen where her brother was projected onto. 

*****

Hufflepuff common room was ablaze with excitement that evening as every witch and wizard crowded around Cedric Diggory, the Hogwarts Champion. They all wanted to be as close to the winner of the second task as possible, but Hazel had other reasons for beaming at the beautiful boy. 

Harry had accidentally told her and Neville that morning that Cedric had told him to open the egg under water, and Hazel felt an overwhelming wave of gratitude wash over her as she watched Diggory be congratulated and cheered on, knowing that somewhere up in Gryffindor Tower, Harry was receiving the same treatment.