Train to Hogwarts, fifth year

"Muggle Studies! Why on earth would you choose to take Muggle Studies?"

"Because why not, Pansy? There're more muggles "on earth" than there will ever be wizards. You can't live your life in ignorance, you know."

"But, Draco, muggles are so- so...so boring! I mean, come on, if you really want to 'get to know muggles', why don't you just shag one? Surely you know that you'll be wasting your whole year? If you're so desperate to be bored and "informed", why not take an Ancient Language class or something?"

Draco scoffed and snatched his class schedule back from Pansy Parkinson's hands. Shoving it back into his robes pocket, he then picked up his playing cards and got back to the game they were playing. So far, Blaise was winning and it was really annoying. The train kept shuffling everything from side to side too, so the cards were spread all over the carriage table.

They still had six hours before they would arrive at Hogwarts and Draco was counting every minute of it. Trying to push the argument he'd just had with his parents out of his mind, he focused instead on the lousy hand he'd been dealt. 

Hazel was on the other side of the train, sharing a compartment with her roommates and their respective boyfriends. Neville and Luna were there too, so it wasn't like she was completely third wheeling...although, from the goo-goo eyes those two kept giving each other, Hazel figured that it wouldn't be long before she could claim the much sought after prize for seventh-wheeling.

"Anything from the trolley, dears?" said the trolley lady as she rolled up to their compartment door.

"Yes, please," said Hazel, standing up and giving her shoulders a much need stretch. "I'll have two chocolate frogs and a bag of dragon chips, please."

Leaning against the compartment doorframe, she counted out the money, which took some time. She'd spent the last two weeks with Harry at Privet Drive, and two weeks in the muggle world was more than enough to mess up her mind. Sort of like waking up one day to discover that everyone had started driving on the wrong side of the road, Hazel had felt like the last two days of summer were a blur. Harry's trial at the ministry (for cursing off a Dementor without permission) was exhausting and frustrating, and it seemed like the Potter twins were not to receive the same courtesy that they had had the previous years. Boy, Fudge really didn't seem to like them.

Speaking of people who didn't like them, the Dursley's were getting worse and worse each year. At least Harry had been happy to see her. Technically, she didn't need to spend anytime with the Dursley's, seeing as how they were only Harry's guardians, but that didn't stop Hazel. Much to the chagrin of Mr and Mrs Dursley, Hazel Potter insisted on enduring two weeks of bickering and nastiness just so that she might have some bonding time with her twin. Of course, there were some benefits to having Hazel there. For one thing, Hazel knew that the Dursley's couldn't do shit to her, otherwise her "dad" would curse them to oblivion and back. Harry might not have liked Snape or liked the fact that his sister loved Snape, but he was willing to put up with it for her sake. Plus, it was always fun to watch the Dursley's shit themselves. At least this year he only had to spend two weeks with them. In the beginning, he'd spent the summer with Sirius, who, despite being free from Azkaban, still couldn't legally take guardianship of Harry.

(Disclaimer, I have no idea if in the past I wrote that Sirius became Harry's guardian, but for the story's sake, let's pretend that he didn't).

Harry was just a few compartments away, and he had the privilege of only having to share with two people. Ron and Hermione were thrilled to see him again after an entire summer apart, but they were all too engrossed in worrying about the latest turn of events to find much joy in their return to Hogwarts.