The New Kids Smell Weird

"Why's Malfoy acting so edgy?" Millicent hissed to Pansy across the table.

"I don't know, probably got something to do with that Hufflepuff he's always hanging out with," said Pansy. "She's apparently not sat down at her table yet."

"Her name is Hazel Potter, as you very well know, Pansy" said Draco without taking his eyes off the entrance of the Great Hall.

"Whatever, all Hufflepuffs look the same to me."

"It sounds like someone's  still not over Mathew," said a smug looking Millicent.

Pansy didn't dignify that comment with a response and instead looked away from her friends determinedly. There was a small group of students standing at the front of the hall, and they were all much too tall to be first years. The Sorting had just ended and no doubt Dumbledore was about to explain their presence, but before he could say anything, the school's front doors could be heard banging open, and a few seconds later, Hazel could be seen walking sheepishly into the Great Hall, much to Draco's relief. Following behind her was a boy just a few inches taller, with midnight black hair and Mediterranean skin. Draco felt the entire Hall inhale at the sight of him. He had a powerful aura, and it was obvious that he was the leader of the little group up front by the way they all noticeably relaxed at his presence. 

Hazel sat down at the Hufflepuff table, but not before pointing the boy to the front of the Hall where his friends were waiting, and Dumbledore raised his hands to silence the whispering. 

"I would like to welcome you all to Hogwarts. For those of you returning, I would like to remind you that the Forest beyond the markers that Hagrid set up is strictly forbidden. And, to our new students, I wish you the best of luck on your journey of learning."

Dumbledore went on a bit more, recapping events of the previous year, saying a bunch of stuff about the new security measures in place, and then he introduced the new DADA teacher, who looked like she had a huge stick up her butt. Hazel realized that it was the same woman who had caused all that trouble at Harry's Ministry hearing a few days ago, and she couldn't figure out why Dumbledore would pick her  of all people. She guessed that he must be running out of options. 

Dumbledore said a few more words about thriving and striving and Hazel sort of dazed off to La-La Land, but then he mentioned that the new kids were from America and that they were transfer students. Apparently they still had to be sorted, so everyone had to wait just a few more minutes before dinner could be served. The first kid, Nico di Angelo, looked like he was sleep deprived and willing to kill anyone who messed with him. He was tiny compared to the other kids, and Hazel guessed that he was probably in second year or something. Before she even had a chance to guess which house he'd be placed him, the sorting hat was yelling, "HUFFLEPUFF".

Huh, that's not what I would've guessed, thought Hazel. But nonetheless, she cheered him on as he made his way to her table. 

The next kid looked the complete opposite of her new housemate. Where Nico was pale and grouchy, this kid, Leo, looked like a helium balloon that someone had drawn a smiley face onto. He bounced up to the sorting hat and, after a couple of seconds, he was announced as the newest member of Hufflepuff too. 

Nice, that's two out of seven! thought Hazel.

After Leo Valdez was Annabeth Chase. She was beautiful and scary, and Hazel thought she might be put in Slytherin, but alas, it was Ravenclaw! On second thoughts, that house suited her better. Even from this far away, Hazel could see that the blondie had fierce intelligence in her eyes. 

Another girl, Piper McLean, was right after her, and Hazel felt for sure this girl was Slytherin. She had a Slytherin way of walking, as if she knew she owned everyone's attention. Hazel was slightly surprised when the sorting hat announced Gryffindor, and she winced at the deafening cheers coming from that table. If Piper noticed the hundreds of wolf whistles being sent her way, she certainly didn't show it.