Midnight Mercies

"I wasn't lying when I came into your room earlier today - I do love you. I know it probably wasn't the best way to say it - hell, it was probably the worst way to say it - but it's true"

Hazel looked like she really wanted to say something, but she kept quiet, and Draco kept on talking.

"I just thought that it was important to get it out there - to let you know how I really feel. I know I fucked up by... well, by kissing that girl-"

"Do you even know her name?" interrupted Hazel.

"Uh-" said Draco, thrown for a second.

"Right, that's what I thought" said Hazel, suddenly sitting upright.

"No, wait!" said Draco, reaching for her arm.

"Why should I?" burst out Hazel. This whole situation was fucked up, and he was taking too long to get to the point.

"Alright, alright, I get it" he said, as if he could read her mind. "I fucked up really badly, and I don't expect you to forgive me or to even want to spend another second with me, but I'm begging you Hazel, please, please just give me a chance to explain!"

"What could you possibly explain to me that I don't already understand?" she shot back. "You used me, Draco. You used our friendship. I trusted you... I thought I meant more! But I guess that was my mistake -"

"No, you don't understand! Please, I never meant to -"

"You never meant to what? Hurt me? Is that what you were going to say?"

"I - yes! But I -"

"Oh please, don't go trying to tell me "you love me" again!"

"But I do -"

"No you don't! Do you really think that if you loved me you would have -"

"Yes! I mean, no! No, no! I didn't mean to -"

"Oh, you really are something, Draco Malfoy!" yelled Hazel, furiously getting to her feet.

"It was a mistake!" he yelled out as she made for the exit.

"The only mistake was thinking that you would ever stop being such a fucking man-whore!" she said, spinning on her heels to face him. 

"That's not true - "

"Are you really going to look me in the eyes and tell me that you didn't snog some random girl whose name you don't even know, at a party that you knew I was at??" she said, taking a dangerous step towards him.

"That's not the point though, is it?" he said, coming closer as well.

"Well then what exactly is the point, Malfoy?" she said harshly, their faces now only a few centimetres apart.

"The point is that it was a mistake! I feel terrible, and I hated every second of it! I'm never going to do it again!" he exclaimed, searching her eyes desperately for any hope.

A few seconds of silence, then Hazel breathed out:

"That's not good enough for me."

Draco's shoulders slumped and he bowed his head in shame. 

"I know."

"Why did you do it?" she said for the last time.

"Because I wanted to see if I could" he answered back, this time honestly.

She took a reeled back in shock. She didn't know what she was really expecting to hear from him, but it wasn't that.

Feeling like he had nothing left to loose, Draco turned away from her, hands in pockets, and scuffed his shoes against the cold tiled floor. He looked up out over the balcony and searched the dark mountains for any signs of life, but all he could see was the silver outline of the trees in the moonlight. 

"I just wanted to see what would happen" he said in a quiet voice, still staring out of the tower. "It was weird, like, I was just standing there, having a normal conversation with Blaise or whoever, and this girl comes up to me and starts talking about god knows what. It wasn't anything particularly interesting, but I could tell she was trying to flirt with me, and I was so bored that I actually considered flirting back."

Here, Hazel felt a red-hot poker of anger burn through her, and if Draco had been facing her he would have seen her roll her eyes.

"Anyways," he said, turning back to her, "I started looking around for you then. I thought maybe we could have sneaked out while everyone was too busy partying, but then I saw you, surrounded by all your friends, and you were, well, happy."

"Oh, my bad, I didn't know that it was such a crime to enjoy myself at a party," she spat out.

"No, that's not what I meant... It's just that - oh fuck it, how can I explain? It sounds so fucked up in my head!" he said, holding his face in his hands.

He took a moment to compose himself, breathed in deeply, and said, "I suddenly realized that that could never be us - I could never be with you like that, with all your friends. I mean, look at us! Every time we meet it has to be in secret, and every time someone - someone we know - suspects that there may be something more between us, they freak out! I mean, come on! Don't you remember all those times with Harry when he threatened to kill me just because he thought we were being nice to each other?? When he thought we were friends?? What do you think he would say if he knew the truth?"

"I don't give a flying fuck what Harry thinks - and don't think you can pin this on him either! You're the one that decided to kiss some stranger because you were bored, not Harry! You're the one that I'm in love with, not Harry! You're the one who can't keep his hands to himself, not anyone else! If you think you can go around blaming everyone else for your problems, for your mistakes, then you're wrong!" 

"But that's not what I'm doing!" he said defensively.

"That's exactly what you're doing Draco! I can see it clear as day! I know what you were going to say, you were going to say that the world is keeping us apart, that we're Romeo and Juliet, that you couldn't stand the thought of how miserable our future would be because you couldn't possibly imagine all your friends and family accepting the fact that I'm some muggle-loving Hufflepuff blood-traitor, or whatever dumb shit it is that you think is keeping us apart!"

Her words rang around the room and out into the night.  It was her turn to break down dramatically and her knees buckled beneath her, only this time, Draco was there to catch her. He enveloped her into his arms and held her tightly to his chest.

"The only thing stopping us from being happy together is ourselves, no one else has that right to take our happiness away, not like this" she said sobbing softly into his shirt.

Draco felt ashamed. She was right. She was so right. How could he let his stupid insecurities get in-between them? How could he let it lead them down this path?

"I'm sorry" he said softly, still holding her close.

"I know" she said, hugging him back.