Flowers Above Our Heads and Stars Above Our Eyes

Oh course hazel had bought Draco something for Christmas. How could she not? She hadn't told anyone about it of course, oh no, she would never. Draco wasn't very popular amongst her friends, and so when they had all gathered in the common room a week before the holidays with their copies of The Daily Prophet, browsing through the mail-order Christmas gifts, she had kept quiet as she circled an advert for Falmouth Falcons quidditch gloves. She made sure that the accompanying note was short and emotionless, so that if it so happened that Draco hadn't bought anything for her, she wouldn't look too much like an idiot.

So when she woke up at 4:32 a.m. the morning after Christmas with something sharp digging into her shoulder, she was surprised to see that it was in fact a parcel addressed to her, from Draco. The parcel was well wrapped; she had to tear through several layers of brown paper and string until she revealed neatly wrapped box of some sort. The pattern was a silver and black Art Deco style, and it seemed to be far too expensive and serious to be a present for her, but it was — she could see her name written in gold on an emerald envelope. Nervously —because she had no idea who could have sent her such a gift — she opened the envelope, careful so as not to tear it in any way. 

Merry Christmas.

Draco Malfoy.

Hazel didn't know if she should be jumping for joy or burning her gift in the fireplace. Draco hadn't spoken to her for weeks. The only times she had heard him say anything was when he was being rude to her friends and her brother. 

Deciding that she would just open the present to be polite, she used her new dagger to slit open the folds and uncover a beautiful little jewelry box in the style of Art Nouveau. Sliding her fingers along the edge of the lid, she found a small dip and pushed up, opening the box. Inside she found a pair of earrings that looked like crystallized fairy wings. 

She lightly lifted the earrings out of their case and held them in the moonlight which was gleaming through her window

She lightly lifted the earrings out of their case and held them in the moonlight which was gleaming through her window. The wings twinkled as they bounced off each other, and sent sparkles of blue and green light over Hazel's bed sheets.