First Night: Meeting the House Elves

The energy at the table had subsided by the time Hazel eventually returned, and she wasn't surprised to see  that a few of the students were already sleeping next to their dinner plates. It was late into the night, and Dumbledore still hadn't dismissed them to their dormitories. Hazel sat down next to Marinda and looked up at the old wizard expectantly. He was in a deep conversation with the new Defense of the Dark Arts professor, and didn't seem to notice that half the student population was growing tired of the feast. 

Hazel focused her energy on her father, and prodded his mind to get his attention.

Dad, I'm tired, and so is everybody else. When do you think Dumbledore is going to let us go?

He didn't respond, but Hazel could see him clear his throat and say something to the aging wizard on his left. Dumbledore nodded, and rose in his throne-like chair. He waved his wand and all the plates and dishes disappeared from the tables, effectively waking up a few sleepy students. Hazel could hear the disgruntled cries of a small population of students who were not done eating, and the now-awake Marinda asked her if she had managed to eat anything herself. Hazel nodded, even though she hadn't eaten much, because she knew that as soon as everyone else had gone to bed, she would be sneaking out and going to visit her favourite house elves in the kitchen.

That's one good thing, she thought, The Hufflepuff  dormitories are right next to the kitchens!  And if I take secret tunnel number 3, they are closer to Dad's rooms than the Slytherin dormitories are!

With a smile on her face, Hazel rose up from her seat and joined the masses as they made their ways to their respective common rooms. The prefect in charge of her lot was a very pretty girl called Irene Denholm, whose own personal aesthetic was a mix of flower child and beach girl, an impressive feat considering that they were in Great Britain and all the beaches were as cold as Ms. Pince's glare. 

This would be Irene's mood board.

Hazel liked Irene, even though she had only spoken to the older girl a few times

Hazel liked Irene, even though she had only spoken to the older girl a few times. Irene walked backwards as she addressed the trail of first years following her.

"This way, please. Keep up now," she said, then turning around momentarily to check her step, she said, "The Hufflepuff dormitories and common room have never been seen by outsiders, and it's the only house with repelling devices installed to ward off intruders."

As her group made their way down the stairs, Hazel caught sight of Draco and the other Slytherins. She waved to him, but he only gave her a pained look and turned to face his prefect. Irene continued to tell them all about Helga Hufflepuff and the other significant parts of Hufflepuff history. Hazel kind of felt sorry for Irene; she had the rather difficult task of convincing a group of 11 year olds that they weren't placed in the most pathetic house in Hogwarts.

"Hufflepuff may not seem like the most impressive house, but I can assure you that we are definitely a vital part of Hogwarts' society. In the past, Hufflepuffs were underestimated and ignored, but if anyone bothered to open a history book, they would see that some of the most accomplished witches and wizards were Hufflepuffs. Our house is characterized by our loyalty, integrity, and empathy. Hufflepuffs value hard work above achievements, we don't do things for the recognition, we do things because they need to be done. Most people tend to misinterpret Helga Hufflepuff when she said that she would "take the rest". They think that it meant that we don't fit in anywhere else, but that's simply not true. A Hufflepuff would do just as well in Gryffindor as they would in Slytherin or Ravenclaw, but what makes them a Hufflepuff is not their bravery, ambition, or intelligence, it's their ability to use those qualities in balance. More often than not, satisfaction and happiness is the result."