Voices in Fudge's Head

*Friday, the day before Slytherin Quidditch Try-outs*

Draco had to admit, when Hazel told him that the Americans had never played quidditch before, he'd thought that their first practice wouldn't be that much of a success, but damn, that Jason kid could fly...he was probably a better flyer than most of Draco's team. This was both impressive and worrying. Malfoy knew that, like him, Harry had been promoted to Quidditch Captain this year, and the fact that Piper, Jason's Gryffindor girlfriend, was also flying so well, was causing Draco more grief than he would care to admit.

By the end of the day, the Slytherin Captain was wondering how exactly he would break the news to his team that Jason would be replacing Eddie von Stappen as chaser. 

***

Despite being able to transform into every kind of bird known to mankind, Frank was having difficulty with flying lessons. His bulky frame didn't seem suited to the broom, and Harry's assurances that he would get the hang of it soon were starting to get annoying. Even after four hours of practice, Frank still couldn't hold a beater's bat in one hand and fly with the other. Annabeth, on the other hand, looked like she was thoroughly enjoying herself. 

She always found new games exciting, and she kept bugging Harry for more and more information about the rules and various strategies she could employ. Harry had mixed feelings about the whole thing, since he was technically helping Ravenclaw every time he showed her a new maneuver. Her enthusiasm for the game was pleasing though, and he could see that across the clearing, Draco wasn't holding back in showing Piper, a Gryffindor, how to properly preform a Talisman Twister-Twirl. Very well, thought Harry, if Draco Malfoy of all people could put House pride aside, so can I.

From above, Hazel was very pleased. It looked like everyone was getting along nicely. Sure, Frank hadn't turned out to be the Beater-machine that she and the rest of her house hoped he would be, but even from this far away she could see he was improving minute by minute. She was in no doubt that this would ultimately play to their advantage, because Hufflepuff house loved helping each other improve. Frank's obvious nervousness on the broomstick would make up for his intimidating size and muscles, and Hazel could see him in her mind being embraced by the Hufflepuff quidditch community. Maybe she would have a word with Cedric Diggory, ask him to take Frank under his wings...

***

*That evening, after their practice in the woods*

When Hazel sat down for dinner at the Hufflepuff table she was sweating lightly and smiling broadly. Tomorrow was the Slytherin Quidditch Try-Outs and Jason Grace was more than ready. Piper and Frank could still use a bit of work, but at least Annabeth was ready for the Ravenclaw try-outs on Monday. 

Across the Hall, she could see Hazel Levesque walk to the Slytherin table, accompanied by various members of the Slytherin house. They all looked to be on good terms with one another, and Hazel Potter smiled to herself. Leo Valdez had come in too, flanked on either side by Fred and George Weasley. The trio parted ways at the Gryffindor table, where Lee Jordan subtly handed the twins something wrapped in old newspaper. Leo made his way to where she was sitting and enthusiastically recounted the day's events.

"I'm pleased to inform you that operation Toad Extermination is well underway," he said, then he reached for one of her fries.

She slapped his hand away affectionately and passed him the serving bowl.

"I take it that means you found everything you need?"

"Of course, the Room of Requirement had everything and more," he said before serving himself way too many beans.