Let's Duel, Baby!

Sitting around the blazing hearth, Hazel screwed up her face in concentration. They were trying to figure out how best to assimilate each Demi-god into Hogwarts Society.

"Well, from the top of my head, I would say that you should join the quidditch teams..."

"What?" said Jason from her left.

"Oh yeah, quidditch is really popular around here. I know Draco is captain this year for Slytherin; are you any good at flying?" Hazel asked, turning to him.

Laughter rippled around the circle, and Jason said slyly, "You could say that."

"...OK, good. They have Slytherin tryouts this Sunday," she said, then turning to Percy and Piper, "Gryffindor tryouts are next Tuesday, you guys both look pretty fit and I know there's at least one spot open on the Gryffindor team-"

"Oh, no, I don't think I should tryout," said Percy quickly.

"Same here," said Nico, and his half-sister nodded along.

"What? What d'you mean? You guys would probably make great flyers-"

"It's never a good idea for the children of Poseidon or Hades to take to the sky," said Percy matter-of-factly. 

"Oh, ok...that's fine, do you guys have any other skills then? Any hobbies?"

They all gave her blank looks, and she sighed, "What did you do at your last school? Surely you joined some sort of club?"

Hazel Levesque shifted on her cushion and said, "I'm not sure if this counts as a skill, or anything, but- but I can, well, I can sort of pull up precious metals and jewels from the ground..."

Hazel Potter looked at her incredulously, which made Levesque rather nervous, causing an old necklace to bob up to the surface at her feet.

"Are you kidding?" exclaimed the witch "That is most definitely a skill! Oh my god, no wonder the sorting hat put you in Slytherin, they love that kind of stuff there - really, they do. They hold a lot of importance to material wealth...wow, yup, don't worry about the quidditch thing, you definitely have all that you need to fit in... I'm guessing that if you show up everyday casually decked out in the most extravagant bling, you'll catch all of their eyes."

"Oh, um, ok, the only thing is... well, the jewels and stuff that I bring up... it's cursed-"

"Oh, really? That's even better! Lordy, I know one girl (she's a bit older than you) called Pansy Parkinson and she just loves that kind of stuff!"

This seemed to confuse Hazel Levesque a bit, but for the moment she was content enough to sit back silently and absorb this new information. Huh, she thought, maybe this year wouldn't be so terrifying after all...

"What about me?" said Nico suddenly. "I can't pull up diamonds or anything, but I can shadow travel pretty decently..."

"Oh, is that the thing where you move through the walls?" asked Hazel Potter

"Yeah, well, no, I don't move through the walls exactly, it's more like I travel through space, and the shadows are the portals."

"Oh" said Hazel, trying to picture how that worked, "Hmmm... well, I think that for now, it would be better if you kept this particular skill to yourself --  it'll probably be handy for spying on people" said Potter.

Nico didn't seem to thrilled with his menial task of spying, and he twirled his obsidian dagger in his hands mindlessly.

"Waittt" said Hazel slowly, her eyes catching the movement. She look thoughtfully at the long blade resting by his side and asked, "Are you any good with a sword?"