Day For Skiing

Ever since the Ministry arrested and charged Igor Karkaroff for extortion, child endangerment, and transgression of High Wizarding law, Hazel had been feeling rather down. Like, never-going-to-be-happy-or-satisfied-with-life kind of down. This was third year dementors all over again. Sure, Draco and Harry were sort-of getting along for her sake, and all her teachers had taken her aside and let her know that they understood if she needed an extra day or two to hand in her assignments, but, at the end of the day, Hazel couldn't get rid of the overwhelming, all-encompassing, soul-trodding feeling that she was the biggest loser in Hogwarts History. 

It turned out that Hazel's fear about Angelo had been correct; he didn't like her, not really, not like that. He was just using her. Using her to get to her brother. She didn't know what was worse: knowing that her first "real" love was fake; knowing that it was all just about a stupid game; the pitying looks that everyone was giving her; or the apology that Angelo tried to give her.

GOD, that had been painful. The worse part of it had been the look in his eyes. He seemed to really regret his actions, and that did nothing but made Hazel feel worse, because she could even hate  him for it. He was just as much a victim as she was. Sure, she understood that he had been forced to do what he did, but god it was heart-breaking just coming to terms with it all. A week ago, she thought she was at the beginning of a dashing romance, but now it was like some nightmare that wouldn't go away. Every time she walked into the Great Hall she could feel the temperature rise as the hums of whispering students increased. She could barely walk ten steps without accidentally making eye contact with various sympathizers. Hazel knew that everyone else knew - or, at least, everyone else knew some version of the events. After all, this wasn't just some little side-drama-love-triangle-thing, the principal of Durmstrang was arrested because of her. Most of the Durmstrang students seemed ashamed on behalf of Karkaroff, but a few took it upon themselves to evil-eye her every opportunity they got.

It was a week and a half after the Yule Ball, and the few students who had decided go home for the holidays were returning. Mostly, it was third years and below, and Hazel hope that news from home would distract everyone from her affairs. The ministry investigation was officially over, and Hazel couldn't help but notice that today the stares were at an all time low. She relaxed a bit as she ate her breakfast, and when the morning owls came in, she was surprised to find a small parcel dropping on her plate.

It had a letter attached to the strings, but the letter had no envelope. Instead, it was written on what looked like the back side of a potions assignment. She flipped it around and tried to make out the hastily written note.

Hazel,

I'm really sorry for everything. Hope one day we can meet as friends. Until then, please accept this small token of my remorse. I'm leaving for America, so you won't have to worry about seeing me in the hallways.

Angelo di Maggio

P.S. If I wasn't gay, I'm sure I would have fallen in love with you for real.

********

Well shit.

Hazel had no idea what to do with that information, so she simply slipped the note into her robe's pocket and tore open the package. It was long and thing, and underneath the brown wrapping paper was a beaded cardboard box the length of her forearm. She pried off the lid and was shocked to find a gleaming blade resting on a blue cushioned surface. Why would Angelo of all people give her a knife? Why would he tell her he's gay? Or tell her he's going to America? What was the point of all this?

She packed the gift away in her rucksack and heaved herself off the breakfast bench. She was way too tired to be dealing with this all right now. Draco was standing by the coffee table, arms folded as he scowled at something Blaise was saying, and he wordlessly handed Hazel a cup of coffee. They were going to spend the last day of the holidays out on the skiing range next to Hogwarts. Blaise was compelling about how the snow storm last night had messed up the trail markers, but he was dismissed with a wave of Draco's hand.

"They have people for that" said Draco, "I'm sure by the time we get there it'll all be sorted out"

"Yeah, about that," interjected Pansy, "Who exactly is all coming?"

She directed a look towards Hazel, who answered it with her own sarcastic grimace. At least Pansy wasn't treating her any differently.

"It's a public mountain range, Pansy, I can't control it," sneered Draco.

"With any luck, Professor Dumbledore'll see fit to join us, I heard he got a new ski mask for Christmas that covers his whole beard" snorted Blaise.

***

A day in the freezing Scottish mountains was exactly what Hazel needed to take her mind off of things. There weren't that many athletic options at Hogwarts besides Quidditch really, so when Dumbledore announced that in honour of the Tri-Wizard Tournament Hogwarts would be opening it very own magical skiing range, Hazel had been excited by the prospect of exercise that didn't involve running on an ancient treadmill in Hogwarts outdated gym. The skiing slopes were meant to offer a way for the students to get outside during the long winters and help them not only keep physically fit but also mentally healthy. Winter Depression was always rampant after the Christmas holidays as many students found themselves lacking anything to look forward to. Sure, there was Valentines day, but hardly any students were in relationships anyways. Most of the school, if you'll remember, is made up of kids 14 years and younger. 

Hazel hadn't even begun to think about Valentines day, however. First and foremost was the second leg of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Harry hadn't yet figured out the clue to his dragons egg and Hazel doubted he would discover anything at the rate he was going. She walked back from the slopes to Hogwarts along with Draco; they trailed behind their skiing group, partly because they had done the most skiing and were the most tired, partly because they preferred each other's silence to the chatter of their fellow classmates.

Hazel watched the sun setting gently over the lake and she touched Draco's arm lightly to draw it to his attention. He had been lost in his own thoughts and was lumbering with his head fixed to the ground a few feet in front of him. Hazel's touch stirred him from his revery and he glanced quickly to see if she was alright. He'd been on edge for the past week and a half and he just couldn't figure out how to cheer Hazel up. For the past five minutes he'd thought about proposing that they run away to Iceland for a few days - Hazel had mentioned that she'd like to visit the island sometime in her life - and Draco let himself indulge in a rather forbidden fantasy of his that involved himself, Hazel, and a private Icelandic hot spring. 

Upon seeing her wonderstruck expression, Draco stupidly turned to face the setting sun straight on, and if he hadn't still been wearing his skiing goggles he was sure he'd be blind. ]

Hazel giggled as he dramatically re-enacted the melting of the Wicked Witch of the West, which earned him a few stares from some passing second year students. Whatever. Draco couldn't give a toss about what they thought, it's not like they could recognize him under all this clothing anyways. 

Looping his arm with a much merrier Hazel, he continued his way down to Hogwarts.