4

(4)

Frank and Louise Barker, who owned the restaurant, gave Gina some authority to make changes. 

They were soon delighted with the decision, as the changes that Gina made to the restaurant’s decor and menu, soon brought an increase to sales and in turn, another small raise for Gina.

Finally she was making enough money that instead of always being two weeks behind in all the bills, she was actually, more often than not, a week ahead.

Most months there was enough money left over for some small luxuries.

A 40” flatscreen television, a desktop computer and even a cell phone, were purchased. These items, common for most, were deeply appreciated and coveted by Gina and her children.

As she did every night, she took the picture of her and Brandon and Melissa from the night stand and kissed it.

She was so proud of her two children. They were the absolute loves of her life. She was amazed at how easily they accepted the life they had and rarely ever buckled under the peer pressure they were so often exposed to at school and the world around them.

Both children knew, from a young age, that money was an issue and they learned to cherish and appreciate all that was given them.

At eleven, Brandon got a newspaper route, which he still held today.

Every week he happily gave Gina half of the money he made.

Every week, Gina would put the money in a bank account for Brandon, which she planned to give to him when he turned 18.

Every week, Gina also did her best to match every cent Brandon gave her.

As for Melissa, she would drop into the restaurant after school. She would hang in the kitchen and soon the chef presented her with a small desk in one corner of the kitchen, where she could do her homework.

Every day around 6, Brandon would show up at the restaurant to sit in the back with his Mom and sister, to have their dinner. 

Brandon would then walk with Melissa, the two blocks to their apartment, and see that her homework was done properly and that she would get to bed on time.

On weekends, Melissa would go to the restaurant with her mother while she prepared the next weeks schedules, meal specials and do the deposits.

Melissa would often be in the restaurant, seating customers and helping the waitresses serve the meals.

The regulars became very used to the young girl and she became part of the fabric that made Barker’s one of the more unique restaurants in the city.

Every week, Gina also made sure that a bank account for Melissa, got a small deposit as well.

Gina kissed the picture again and returned it to the night stand.

She smiled as she turned out the light on the night stand.

She was exhausted, but it was a good exhaustion.

She did have a good life.

Gina Pittman was a lucky woman.